Sunday, September 17, 2006

Addiction

You take the good, you take the bad
You take them both and there you have
The facts of life...

TV, a feeder of fantasies, a soother of souls, an instrument to drown out the noises of a turbulent life. Watching, became as routine to me as bathing. Other pursuits eventually came into view and into play. Reading, for instance. Although, reading about TV had an even bigger impact than watching TV, for a time.

The Facts of Life featured, among others, Kim Fields, who played Tootie. Kim was 9 when the series began and since her character was supposed to be 12, they had her in roller skates so she could appear taller. She skated everywhere. Further, it might interest you to know, that later in her career, Kim appeared on Queen Latifah's sitcom, Living Single .."In a '90's kind of world, I'm glad I got my gurls." as man hungry, gold digging, Regine. Alan Thicke, who had his own series, Growing Pains, wrote the Facts of theme.

Do you know how many female ADA's have been featured on the original Law and Order series? There were five. In order of appearance: as Claire-Jill Hennessy, Jamie-Carey Lowell, Abbie-Angie Harmon, Serena, Elizabeth Rohm, the only blond and admitted lesbian-albeit, not until her final scene, and Alexandra-Annie Parisse. I believe I read somewhere that the season past was to be her last. Elizabeth's character, Serena was the only one fired. Carey's character was killed.

Yes, I know how this makes me sound. And, because I know, I will not tell you how many famously mundane facts I know about thousands of shows. Facts that have made themselves at home, settled in like guests who have overstayed their welcome, popping out when you least expect, engaging in activities that are less than...flattering.

Relief may very well be in sight.

Television, even for a visual media devotee like myself, isn't what it used to be-Breaking Up with Shannon Doherty? give me a break!

Other interests and life changes have diminished the opportunity and to some extent the desire.

Oh, I'm still addicted. I'm just so much more selective about the objects of my fanaticism.

5 comments:

  1. My addiction has come full circle since discovering TV on DVD. You get an entire season, to view at your discretion, sans comercials, all in an itty bitty box. Gotta love that...

    Our current obsessions are 24 and La Femme Nikita. but I also have started with Star Trek: DS9, Black sheep Squadron, Babylon 5, and Alias. I am waiting to add Highlander and CHiPs and Emergency, Sanford and Son and............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. I know ALL these mundane facts about star stuff, but could hardly remember all the real estate answers when studying for that exam 5 yrs ago.

    Now, Im not about to watch Shannon D. because I NEVER liked her. But I DO like other reality shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:16 AM

    Maxine... we can be friends if you appreciate Black Sheep Squadron AND B5.

    Deb... we can talk, friend... I was practically raised by a television.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TV was my only company growing up so I'm right there with ya. I've been known to annoy people with my TV trivia. Don't tell anyone, but in college I used to schedule my classes around my shows. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the last couple of years we've been watching all of the friends on DVD, amazed at how much from that show has become part of our culture. Oh, Seinfeld is such a part of our culture, too. So many phrases and little things from TV really play such a large part in our every day lives, away from the TV.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.