Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Soundtrack

A local columnist recently waxed philosophic about how after her car radio broke and because she was too lazy busy to get it fixed, she was able to commune with nature, her car and her head, during her daily commutes.

I can see her point. I, however, am wired to sound.

I no longer drive on a regular basis, when I did, when I do, the second act is to activate the music.

When I work-out, it is to music. "Dance floor pro, I know you know"

When I work (at the office) it is to music. "Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops"

When I-most anything-it is to music. "You say it best, when you say nothing at all"

The work-out music, as you may imagine is up-tempo, hard driving and rhythmic. Generally, I'm not a fan of rap music, but I do own two rap cds and (feel free to shudder) a rap cassette. I find the rap, at least that of these three artists conducive to working out. I realized recently that I only listen to these tunes when I'm working out or working in the yard.

At the office, most anything goes. Though I like ballads best, a wide variety of music is ripped to the hard drive and thanks to the internet radio, I have access to even more ground than the ripped or my own cds cover.

Well worn tunes work best as backdrop, since I don't have the luxury (or volume control) to seriously listen to lyrics, for transitions and riff nuances. It's the little surprises in compositions that grab my fancy.

Real listening happens at home, where I am also exposed to the musical tastes of my two twenty-somethings. That is a whole other post. Suffice to say, their tastes vary, widely.

I tried working without a soundtrack, once. I was distracted, jittery and short-tempered.

I need the sound, as much, if not more, than my daily coffee.

"We'll go through Tucson up to Santa Fe
And Barbara in Nashville says we're welcome to stay
I'll buy you glasses down in Texas, a hat from New Orleans
And in the morning you can tell me your dreams
You know I've seen it before
This mist that covers your eyes
You've been looking for something that's not in your life
My intentions are true, won't you take me with you
And baby, you can sleep while I drive"

5 comments:

  1. My favorite ME song. When I have seen her do it live it has always brought tears to my eyes. She said once at a concert that a lot of people tell her they used it at their commitment ceremonies and she says the music is always there to interpret individually. However, she went on, the song was written as someone leaving because the partner would not be going with her. She can sleep at home in her own bed, while ME drives away.

    Knowing this did change the way I feel about the song, but it is still the favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Music is the rythym by which all hearts beat. I'm right there with you on this one. I can hardly function without a soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. It never seizes to amaze me how important music is in determining my mood. And how much more productive I am when I'm not distracted by random noises/conversations around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello leg woman,

    Do you dance? I discovered dancing about 4 years ago. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maxine: I haven't seen it performed, and I cry anyway.

    Hey, sober. I danced much when I was in my late teens & early twenties. A little less as the years wore on. I do some movements now that some generously call dancing. :) With the right motivation & inspiration I could be enticed to *cut a rug*

    Jennifer & Amaya- LET THE MUSIC PLAY ON!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.