Friday, December 01, 2006

March

My high school physical education classes were broken into units. There was calisthenics, which including jumping jacks, jumping rope and other floor pounding, heart racing exercises. There was a gymnastics unit, which included more controlled jumps, climbing, spinning and rolling forward and backwards. To this day, I cannot roll backwards. Not that keen on the forward version either.

There was sports. Basketball with Mrs. Orange. Softball with Miss Apple. Volleyball with Miss. P. (No Ms. Yet-at least in my hood). Mrs. Orange was old, at least to us, she was maybe 35. To us this was ancient. Miss Apple was not married and a little...man-ish, was the term tossed about, was not well received. I thought she was a fine teacher, a little shy, but she knew her stuff and when the loudmouths in the back shut-up long enough or had to drop out due to pregnancy, she could be quite effective. Miss Plum was hot. Hot with two Ts. Boys and Girls alike were drawn to her like pastry chefs to butter. She ruled. Miss Plum was elected Teacher of the Year twice during my four years. Mondo popular she was. She was a good teacher too.

Dance was the worst except for Square dancing. The square dancing was the most popular of the segment because, I think it was closest to the Hustle.

And then there was marching. Left, Left, Left Right Left. Mrs. Orange was wild about marching. Most of the girls hated the marching. The rest of us hated the standing. Mrs. Orange wouldn't start a cadence until all was quiet, orderly, regimented. And of course, the loudmouths in the back, did their level best to disrupt the formation. Such a tedious exercise, marching.

Much of what I was taught in high school, made sense to me then, and some of it followed me beyond, into the real world. The marching not so much. Maybe. Will I be thinking about marching as I slog through what is expected to be our first winter storm? It's not winter yet, but that's a small point.

The prediction is 4-6 inches of snow in my area. For such a puny snow, the low boots will be sufficient.

Left, Left, Left, Right Left. I really didn't like the marching. I really don't like slogging through the snow. I do, however, like the low boots.

~~Orange, Apple & Plum-not their real names, you know.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:04 AM

    Miss Orange - lucky she wasn't in my school - I would of squeezed her and drunk the juice ;-)

    O Im to naughty for this time of the morning, where's my woman ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:27 AM

    When I was in the Marine Corps, I rather enjoyed marching. When done well, marching has the ability to instill a great deal of unit pride and cohesion. I'm not too sure why you would have been marchjing in High School, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likin' the boots, Deborah.

    But I loved marching band - did it for six years. Does that make my opinion suspect? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got kicked out of dance class but maybe that's because I never had a miss Orange- are those your shoes? It's snowing now where I am. Boo hoo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mere mention of marching takes me back to my marching band days in high school. Like Wendy, I adored marching band. Such regiment, such structure, such delight in a job well done.

    I envy your snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:26 PM

    oooh you brought back memories of school days.... I will share with you an unsavory little secret about me. I hated school. School hated me. I often tell people that Carry White was my hero... I am not kidding... bad times bad times!

    I have adjusted well though... I find Carry White to be a bit over reactionary now... I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honey, You're gona need higher boots than that with all the snow YOU guys are getting!!!

    That was a GREAT entry. Funny, too!
    I loved the marching. But then it was the drill team! Now THAT was So FUN!!
    Wish I could still do those damn high kicks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.