Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Re-Purpose the Fridge

There is a refrigerator is my dining room. It's not an extra box, an over-flow unit. No, it's just there, hulking in a corner, broken of spirit and cool. The old box, having finally failed to keep its cool, was banished to the dining room because the crew who brought the new (old) fridge opted to leave her for later. Assigning her the deferred refurbish tag.

The plan was for the crew headed the ex-husband, who provided the new (old) fridge, to return, pick up the old broken box and take her to a refrigerator refurbishing practitioner. He was trying to start a catering business and wanted a nice big box. The fridge he'd given us was smaller and not in the best condition, she did get cold, though.

This was about two years ago.

He has since had a stroke and while recovering, it is unlikely that he will be catering anytime soon, if ever again.

The big fridge remains hulking in a corner of my dining room, like a retired sentry.

It doesn't bother me much that she's there. Dining room is a misnomer, really. Aside from the table, six chairs and built-in China Cabinet devoid of china, the room serves as more a repository for spare storage than any dining. We did eat Thanksgiving dinner there, but I was serving family using paper plates. A broken fridge in a corner did not upset the ambiance, much.

Lately though, I've been thinking if she's going to be hanging around much longer, she should have more purpose. She's much too regal a box to just sit there, holding old magnets and stale memories.

I'll remove her doors, spiff up her shelves and turn her into a...crafts closet, or a wine shelter or maybe even overflow office supply bin. Oh heck, I don't know. I saw a project on one of those homey crafty shows. I'll find a use for her. I'll give her an inside out make-over. The old girl will have a whole new look. She could become my Spruce Goose.

And when the time comes, when I get things in a different kind of order around here, she'll find her way outside to stand in state, waiting for the next refurbishing practitioner to give her another life.



9 comments:

  1. and wanted a nice big box... [giggle]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:18 PM

    you could make it into a nice shoe display cabinet!

    *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:18 PM

    I like the idea of finding a new purpose for something. Especially thinking outside the box. What about putting the fridge outside - giving it a fresh coat of some spring-time color and using it as a plant stand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, think of what you could do with it. Take pictures when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lmao at Syd

    Pictures, yes.
    I think we'll need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:43 PM

    roflmao so many great thoughts and ideas....I love it!! My first thought was open it up and it would make a lovely bookshelf....but I like the shoe display and the craft cabinet idea too........sooooo many choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT'S positivity!
    Deborah, your imagination is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:24 AM

    a repurposed fridge?
    i am skeptical.
    I think it needs to go.
    perhaps the town will pick it up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:24 AM

    a repurposed fridge?
    i am skeptical.
    I think it needs to go.
    perhaps the town will pick it up?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.