Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Scent of a Holiday

Pacing, thinking, writing-lists, have been the sum of my last few days. The next few days will be filled with the same, only more so. I’m forging on out of a sense of sensibility in spite of the current state of internal indifference.

Waiting for the holiday in me to wake up and smell the cinnamon.

I have still, more shopping to do. I don’t want to, but I must, finally and absolutely. My shopping consultant, my bud, hasn’t been available. I'm feeling just a bit paralyzed by her absence and just a tad bit embarrassed about that. Her new work schedule has her working weekends. Of late, she’s been spending her off days and evenings with her boyfriend.

Thrilled she’s working. Absolutely. Thrilled she’s happy with the boyfriend (these past few weeks). Absolutely. Miss her. Absolutely. Plunge ahead, celebrate the good. Absolutely.

We’ll have Thursday. She’s going to come to the company’s Christmas pot-luck. This is a new experience for me. Not Dani being there. She’s attended our dinners before. This is the first pot-luck. I’m not so sure about this pot-luck idea. I’ve seen what these guys eat for lunch. My diet may be safe for another day. I’m making Mac N Cheese. I haven’t made food for non-family members since the church pot-lucks some 6 years ago. Not that I'm worried. I make Mac N Cheese often. Never-the-less, Thursday should prove interesting on several fronts.

The holiday in me wants to wake up and smell the cinnamon.

I call my mom to say hey, howya doin. She replies that she hasn’t heard from my older brother in weeks. The conversation had little choice but to plummet after that admission.

I thought..a hint..is that cinnamon?

Michael’s been temporarily side-lined with an aching back; strained by all the physicality related to the recent show and particularly stressful, strenuous work responsibilities. The doc gave him a muscle relaxant and instructions to stay home from work for the next few days. He had to cancel an audition and post-pone his photo shoot.

Maybe it’s not cinnamon I’m supposed to smell.

Some hours over the past several, have been spent contemplating. Work projects, adjustments related to priority shifts, finding a new laundromat, responding to an email from a woman who’s subject line is: intrigued, a possible adventure next month and more.

This contemplating is being done while playing with my new toy–bottled frustration.


The object is to get the little wooden ball out of the bottle. Solving helped with the contemplation.

Ahh...cinnamon.

10 comments:

  1. Ok gf, do it with me ....take a deeeep breath ..... doesnt that feel better ?

    I'll be your date for the dinner hunny, no worries ;-)

    Hope Micheal's back gets better soon.

    O and I love cinnamon, especially sprinkled on donuts ...Mmmm!!!
    Kisses XxXxXxXxXxXxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:27 PM

    Now that our tree is up I smell pine...pine and more pine! That's my scent of choice to help me cope.

    That bottle puzzle...wtf? Looks like it needs some "out of the box" thinking, something I am particularly not good at.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. That puzzle scares me. I'd spend days trying to figure it out and never get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a false bottom to the jar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, shopping is a fun sport so I'd go with you if I could.

    How to get the little wooden ball out of the bottle:
    1. Break bottle
    2. Remove little wooden ball

    Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mh: breathing deep & yes,feels better. Come on over, plenty of food.

    trish: pine might have been good.

    Bent: woulda really?

    Elizabeth: Yes

    The bottle: no false bottom. no breaking. getting the ball out was easier than re-assembling the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few questions:

    Have you told her you miss her?

    When is the last time you have done something for you that feels good?

    Would you like to borrow my hammer for that toy of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not a toy, that's a hissy fit waiting to happen - I'd have to smash it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Send it to me.

    I'll blast it with a shotgun and post the pictures on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I have missed you too! Happy Christmas. Hope you had a lovely time. Chanukah very relaxed and quiet for the girls and I.
    Have heaps of homework to trawl through before everything starts up again in January *sigh*.
    Re your bottle puzzle... take the thing by the handle and swing around wildly, being sure to knock against hard objects with great force. The little wooden ball will come out one way or another.
    Mmmm... mac'n'cheese (aka comfort food). Save me a bowl! x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.