Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Meeting of the Minds

If the treasurer of my condo association board is calling and Publishers Clearinghouse is littering the mailbox, then it must be January. Treasurer and President S are of the opinion that it is time for a meeting. Oh Gee, really? It’s only been a year since the last meeting. It is January, the season for the near annual exercise in pretending that the other owners give a crap about the property.

This small association of 9 owners has struggled over these past 5 years to maintain the property, due in part, to direction ranging from ineffective to non-existent exhibited by most of the board and a lack of interest in lifting a finger to sweep a floor, change a bulb, rake a leaf by all but 2 owners.

Over the last two years the board has met 3 times. Each of those meetings was attended by 4 owners. The 3 board members and one other owner. Each time, a different (other) owner. Each of the previous meetings included agenda items that are on the current agenda.

During each of the previous meetings the owners discuss and set a course of action. Each owner accepts a task, towards addressing each of the issues outlined in the agenda. Days later I turn in the report for the project I’d agreed to research. In the meantime, I sweep and mop common areas, change bulbs and work to beautify the yard. Another owner vacuums and steam cleans rugs. The other owners (including two other board members) do nothing. A phone call or two, an email or two to them little reply and no action.

Until January. Meeting time.

The Publishers Clearinghouse will be trashed, as usual. And while the agenda remains the same, this will be a different meeting. Because I am different. Something must be done to combat the inaction typically employed by the other board members and owners. I’m not quite sure what that something will be–but I will find it. I must.

Update: we had the meeting. No coup, but thanks gf for the offer of support. Elections aren't for several weeks yet, so no changing of the guard, yet. The four of us, yes, a different owner-the newest, talked about much. Some issues pressing, some not so..as usual.

Where I thought the three owners directly affected by blackened halls were just not changing bulbs, turns out the fixtures are broken. Those landings have been dark for a few weeks folks. Weeks! Two of the owners have children. Up and down the stairs in the dark (unless they have flashlights-highly unlikely) for weeks. The darkened staircases are above me, my family and I are not directly affected, yet, I am flabbergasted that these families would be so casual about this potential hazard. Do we really need to wait, to call a meeting to discuss contacting an electrician to repair/replace broken fixtures. Do we? NO! This should be resolved yesterday, people.

I did lay down the gauntlet. My ears got very warm. I was either angry, nervous or amorous-as my head wasn't itching or my palms sweating, I'd go with angry. I told them that I intend to be even more active, more visible and much more vocal. I'm holding their collective feet to the fire. I will hold each one (not just the board-but I'll start there--the board should develop plans to entice the other owners into action) accountable. Appeal, like Maxine said, to their sense of pride, property values and all that.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to get as much done to my unit (I need some handy folks-but that's another issue for another time)-as my time there is clocking down.

The next meeting is 2/13/07-but which time three of the items on the must do now list should very well be accomplished. The fourth item should be well beyond planning and just needing a go-ahead to move forward. I'll be checking in with those folks who accepted specific assignments before the 13th. If you hear a rumble--it might not be thunder.



11 comments:

  1. I see a revolution on the horizon. If you need any military support for your coup, call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:26 AM

    LOL what gf said...a coup! How exciting! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other side of it, I was bitten in the ass by neighbors so wrapped up in "the rules".

    Scene: Husband out of town, me really sick with flu.

    Situation: Garbage can violation.

    I was so sick I forgot that I hadn't taken in the garbage can from the pick up day. So what did my neighbors do? Instead of coming over and seeing if perhaps I was dead or something they took a digital picture of the offending garbage can and took it to the president of the assoc who then wrote me up a letter of violation including the picture as proof.

    I'm not bitter... really!

    There has got to be a middle ground somewhere between militia and total apathy. I am sure you TOD will find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOunds like leadership is in order and you're JUST the person to do it! Good luck! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sense a new title in your future: President of Board! Your firm hand will whip them into shape in no time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Words...Madam President is a wonderful title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was that you said about my 'tude the other day? Here,let me share some with you.

    I really hope they hear you this time. I sure can hear the frustration in your words. Nothin that irks me more than people who stand around jawing about what they're going to do and then doing nothing.

    Madam President. Has a ring to it, eh? *grin*

    Later gator....

    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't envy you. But, I think you have it better than an ex of mine who bought condo Southside and got into a stew with the anal nasty board, ended up staging a coup, getting elected president where she also got first notice of people looking for a place in her building, sold her condo to one of them, and bought a house she had to fix up with no experience doing so. Grass is greener. But, I hope you find a "motivation" for them to follow the game plan. You could stop mopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gently suggest they take a little pride in their surroundings. Express how hard you work to make this your home. Lay it on thick. Guilt them into action!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to change the subject, but what happened with that girl you were emailing?

    Have you met her yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...you GO girl!! The guilt angle has some merit....as does hitting them right between the eyes!! Oh dear did I say that out loud...hhhmmmm filter must be broken again!!

    Let us know how it works out k?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.