Thursday, February 01, 2007

Dunder Heads

I like staples, not the store…well, I do like the store. While Staples is not the outfit professing passion for office supplies in a marketing campaign, I still like them. Staples, the outfit trying to get us all to jump on the easy button, is an acceptable outlet for staples and other supplies. This, however, is not about stores, but about supplies, specially, staples and paper clips.

I like staples. Staples are handy for binding pieces of paper together. (I know there are other kinds of staples for other purposes-but for today we are talking paper-just paper). For me, staples are a more permanent binding solution, for use when you don’t intend for the papers to be loose, not wanting them to run amok. Of course, staples can and sometimes must be removed. Removal of a staple is not that difficult, provided you have the proper tool. The tool, staple remover, is available in several styles. I prefer this style.

However, I don’t like removing staples. It can be messy. The paper can rip and you wind up with broken, now useless staples littering the desk. More times that not, the handy little remover is not at hand when you need to remove a staple. Your choices are to wrench the papers apart or use your fingers to try and pry the staple loose. While not overly painful, the stab of a pried staple can be annoying.

For temporary binding of multiple pages I prefer paper clips. Paper clips are sturdy and a perfectly acceptable temporary paper binding agent. A paper clip can be removed without any damage to the papers or fingers. A paper clip can be re-used, over and over and over again.

I receive faxes. Many faxes, usually multiple page faxes, often, throughout the day. More often than not the fax requires some action and a return fax. The fax machine will not scan a stapled sheet. A staple can damage the fax machine. I don’t have a stapler near the fax machine. I have equipped the fax machine area with a container full of paper clips.

The guys in my office apparently don’t like paper clips. They appear to have a passion for staples. They staple everything. Sometimes, multiple times, as if one staple is just too weak to hold 2-3 pages together. When the guys in my office retrieve faxes from the machine and they see it is address to me, they leave the fax machine area, staple the pages and place in my tray—which is inches from the fax machine, very near the container of paper clips.

DUNDER HEAD! Paper clips rule!

13 comments:

  1. I think an after hours raid is in order. We can dress head to toe in black and don ski masks. We can remove every stapler from the offices, except yours of course which will be cleverly hidden. As an added bonus, the paper clip fairy can dump her load on everyone's desk.

    Whaddayasay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet when said guys staple pages together, the sheets aren't lined up all nice and neat either.

    I more often tear the paper removing a staple with a staple remover than I do with my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not staple things anymore. It's been months. One day, my boss was disturbed when a junior member of our staff stapled something inappropriately. Meaning, it wasn't at a 45 degree angle, 1/2" from the top and side. I don't think the boss has even noticed that I am on strike. This now extends to not using binder clips or paper clips either. It's quite freeing actually. Especially for the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still vote for a raid and from what I gather it could be executed perhaps late summer or early fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I think I´ve never given this much thought to staples and paper clips lol!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maxine, you may be right! Planning and budget sessions are needed. Yes, a raid..the exicitement is building...ka-pow!

    :::Operation Stapler Swipe:::

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmm.
    I don't like either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am forced to use staples for several reasons. I'd love to be staple free but the kids have to staple their work because the clips come off sometimes. I hate the kids playing with the staplers on my desk. They seem to get dropped at least once a day and then they don't work right. ARG...I'd love to be free of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the colored paper clips and the ones that i even shaped differently. i have never bought these, however.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paper clips rule! Especially the multi-colored variety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are definitely times when paperclips are preferable. I too wish others recognized that.

    As for the store Staples, it bothers me that my little box of paperclips says "staples" on the outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So they're still doing this? Still???? Do they know you think they are dunderheads?

    I'm with Maxine. I think a raid is in order. Only don't raid my office please. I have to be able to staple. On the RIGHT upper corner of the papers, no less. Just to irritate Medical Informatics, of course. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Confession Time:
    #I love love love stapling things together
    #The paper clip doesnt do it for me, she always comes apart ... but I'm starting to see her in a new light
    #Ever thought about laminating? I love it ... have my own machine at home ... spend ages watching it getting hotter and hotter

    Ok, after all that ... I defiantly need a clod shower ;-)

    Hey chick .. Im back ... missed you y'know!!!
    Love and kisses XxXxXxX

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.