Friday, February 16, 2007

I Don't Paint Myself Into Corners

I don’t paint myself into corners anymore
In a brittle heart of clay
I threw my brushes away
The tools of the trade that chained your memory to me
Are out the door
I don’t paint myself into corners anymore


When I was 13 I was hit by a truck.

My aunt, who was taking a break from her marriage, on our living room sofa sent me and my older brother to get some chicken. Back then, there was not a chicken or burger place on every corner, we had to take two busses, to get this chicken. Since we were trekking to the chicken place, we asked if she’d buy us burgers, the burger place was next door to the chicken place. She agreed.

The trip to the chicken and burger places was uneventful. We get the chicken. We get the burgers. We head back towards home. We’re on the first of two busses to get home. My brother, who is carrying the burger sack, exits the bus on the west side of the street. This was not a stop. The bus was stopped for the light. I waited on the bus until the light changed and the bus stopped at the sign, on the east side of the street.

The second bus we needed to get home was coming. My brother yelled for me to run. The light was still green, so I took off, running across the street. I’d barely gotten off the curb when I went flying. My glasses went left. The chicken sack I was holding went right. I bounced a couple of times before I came in contact with the curb. The guy driving the truck, I was told, had been drinking.

My brand new coat was getting soaked and soiled. That was the only thought on my mind. I really liked that coat. It was the first new non hand-me-down coat I’d gotten in a long time. I really hated lying there on the ground waiting for the ambulance, my brother yelling for me to stay down. The milling spectators all had opinions as to what happened. Some absconded with the chicken from the sack. One was kind enough to retrieve my crumpled glasses and hand them to my brother.

Emergency vehicles arrived, I was taken to the hospital. I spent much of the next several weeks getting treatments for a sore back. Some months later I got new clothes, including a new coat and we ate better for a time. My aunt eventually left our sofa and went back to her marriage. She was a little bummed that I’d lost the chicken.

Whenever I hear, "I Don’t Paint Myself Into Corners" I always think about the year I got hit by a truck, running to catch a bus, substituting my own lyric, I Don’t Run for Busses, Anymore.

I miss many busses.

8 comments:

  1. Oh you poor baby! I just wanted to gather you up in my arms reading that....

    nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad and sweet, Deborah. I have to admit the part that really jangled was that someone made off with the chicken. Insult to injury, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O hunny, I just wanna hug you right now ... sending you loads of kisses and extra massive ((hugs))

    Love XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really sad.
    I'm so sorry Deborah.
    You didn't mention anything that your mother said or did. It must have been not good.
    Poor little Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't run for busses either.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. what a delicate story. i'm glad you survived. thanks so much for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:50 PM

    You miss buses. I miss yellow stoplights. It's a safety issue. I understand. But they took the chicken? Bastards!

    Got your email. Will answer soonest. The *bug* is being passed amongst us.

    Gentlest of hugs,

    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a similar feeling about the chicken...
    whenever i hear stories of kids getting hit by vehicles...it strikes a cord, becuase my son was hit by a car. my boy was fine. boys bounce.
    I am glad you were fine too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.