Thursday, February 08, 2007

Twenty-Five

It was early, a very early Monday morning. In fact, morning had yet to break when the pains began. I was alone, the hub-ex had gone to work. I tried to ignore the pain deciding they couldn’t be that pain, it was too early. Too early in the day, too soon by a couple of weeks. The pains became more insistent and harder to ignore, the thought circling around and around as they did, I did not want to go to the hospital in the dark.

I willed the pains to slow and miraculously they did. The day broke, I called the ambulance and 3 hours later my baby boy was heralded into the world, twenty-five years ago, today.

We’ve shared much over these twenty-five years. He conspired with me to get his dad to quit smoking. Well, more like he was conscripted, as he was only 7 months old. He performed his duties admirably, however they came about. His coughing on cue would surely be worthy of a Tony.

From his early childhood obsessions with the World Wrestling Federation’s Hulk Hogan and Randy "Macho Man" Savage and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to his introduction to poetry and spoken word, which ultimately led to drama and acting, we’ve shared much. Not just the times, the actions and the events, but also the stories.

What I cherish most these twenty-five, especially the last five, are the conversations. He has talked, eventually, about everything. I’m pretty sure it was the muscle relaxant he was taking for an aching back that had him discussing the merits of boxers over briefs and why it was urgent for me to know those merits, just then. Whatever made him share, I welcome the information.

The infant boy who once laid on my chest as we slept through watched football, the toddler who made sure I was aware (in a very loud voice) whenever his sister was crying, the little boy who constructed elaborate scenarios for his action figures, the adolescent who struggled until finding his voice, his strength, his calling through poetry, this gentleman, my son, is twenty-five today.

He’s going out tonight. He will enjoy a very nice dinner, go to the symphony and then....samba.

Tomorrow he will tell me the stories.

Happy Birthday Son.

***photo from 2006 graduation. He won't stand still long enough for me to get a more current shot. If I manage one, I'll post it.

18 comments:

  1. Ah babe that was beautiful, you touched my heart ... your beautiful words about your grown up baby :-)

    O and " His coughing on cue would surely be worthy of a Tony" ... can he teach me this gift, please ... I'm trying to get fairy to quit but even the sight of me sucking on my asthma inhaler doesnt seem to make any difference!!

    Happy birthday Micheal !!! :-)

    Love and kisses to mom XxXxXxXxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Michael and Happy Birth Day Deborah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there ought to be a term to commemorate what us mothers experience/celebrate on the anniversary of giving birth. I'll be celebrating such a day next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your son!

    Hey, what did your mom end up getting him after that conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful, Deborah. HB to your young man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your son! What a wonderful story Deb! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a handsome young man. He looks so much like how I visualize my handsome 13 year old will look on graduation day. It almost brought me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, all.

    Sassy, mom did ultimately heed my advice and get the gift card. Michael used it to buy Life Lit..

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAppy birthday, Young man!

    Congrats to you, too, Deborah, for raising him so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to him! :) Sounds like he´s gonna have a really fun day!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a handsome lad you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm not a mum,but i no its the most beautiful feeling..it was pleasure to read,i hope u have many many years together..happy birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:05 PM

    Handsome young man...

    I always get out my sons baby album and look at it with them on their birthdays so that I can tell them about what it going on in the picture and how much I loved their chubby little cheeks and fingers.

    My oldest will turn 18 in April and graduate from highschool in June...I will have to come up with something really special.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And many more, for you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice, well-written birthday tribute! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, he looks like you!
    (Well, minus the beard,) haha.

    That was great. All that & a Samba too. How cool.

    Nice looking couple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a very handsome fellow!! Thanks for sharing him with us Deborah!! And what an awesome mother he has.....great tribute!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.