Friday, June 22, 2007

Summer in the City



No, they don’t mean pause. Nor do then mean that one should give the illusion of ceasing the movement of one’s vehicle. The meaning of that line, eight-sided sign and the bright red light atop the pole of three (4 or 5 if turning arrows) is STOP. The vehicle must cease to move.

Period. Exclamation Point!

I, along with thousands of pedestrians* suffer near misses every day as the result of drivers who are impatient, irrational, ignorant, inconsiderate, and / or just idiotic. Walking in the city, especially in spring and summer is indeed a chore. In fact, walking can be down- right hazardous to your health unless you become expert at navigating vehicles at cross walks. You have to be near psychic at times.

Given the state of traffic in this city (& surrounding areas) I have been asked how I can feel comfortable riding my bicycle. Truth of the matter is I feel safer on my bike than I do on foot. I’ve been riding a bike nearly as long as I’ve been walking and feel very safe on one. I’ve never fallen off the bike, once I learned to ride. I’ve fallen off my feet a few times, but that’s another story. Though not much more considerate, operators of motor vehicles do tend to pay more attention to cyclists than pedestrians.

Whatever the reason I appreciate that grace. During the warmer months I ride more often. I’ve ridden my bike the 7.32 miles to work twice already this season. I expect to do that several more times before the weather turns on me again. I bought a brand new helmet, pulled out riding gloves and other essentials. I awake each morning hoping for a forecast of clear weather.

Away I go, carefully, considerately hoping the same goes for operators of motorized vehicles.



*not standing up for those who cross against lights/signs, outside of marked cross-walks or otherwise make a nuisance of themselves seeming to dare vehicles to hit them
.

5 comments:

  1. Check out Sacramento where one of our most serious crimes is running over pedestrians and bicyclists. It's an epidemic and part of why our fair city was named one of the worst city of drivers.

    I haven't let my kids cross the street since we moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great about riding your bike to work... I'd be a sweatball by the time I arrived and there are no showers for me to use and how would I carry a change of clothes, etc.... ????!!!
    Anyway, I'm glad you're getting out on the 2 wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best commuter story I ever heard was that of my physical therapist. He lived up river from his office. In the summer he would canoe to work and then have a coworker or his wife would tote him and his canoe home at night.

    You be careful girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart cycling is better than walking any day. Stay safe and have fun all summer long. I love Chicago in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to ride my bike to work back in the day. Good times, good times.

    But the traffic... other bikers... idiots in automobiles... somnolent pedestrians... look out, it's a jungle out there! Be careful, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.