Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pass The Ladle


Since she was a little girl, D liked playing around in the kitchen cooking. It was not something I either encouraged or discouraged. Well, actually, I guessed there was encouragement in that I exhibited eagerness to try her concoctions creations. Some were not half bad.

As she got older and her interests grew, the interest for kitchen arts decreased dramatically. And then they came back just as dramatically. Except now big brother was an eating machine and the amount of food needed to sate the machine would daunt all but the most seasoned provider of cooked meals. D declined the challenge.

And then he moved.
With renewed interest and vigor, D took up the cooking gauntlet yet once again. I relished the break, even if she hadn’t always catered to my dietary concerns. I tried to adjust accordingly. The dinners she assembled were often laden with pasta, potatoes and other less than healthful options. Portion control, difficult because the meals were very good and full of foods I enjoy, was even more vital. Vegetables had to be maneuvered into other meals. D is 'getting there' with regard to veggies.
A recent work schedule change will put me home ahead of D 4 of 5 weeknights, meaning I’ll get dinner on the table more often than not. D made a very specific request that I not make too much of that “diet food” and should I feel the need that I make it “good diet food.” She notes for good measure though that she doesn’t know if is such a thing exists.

I assure her that it does and further that I wasn't going so much for diet as healthful food.

Dinner. Done. I 'm pretty sure she'll be satisfied.





15 comments:

  1. Poor D. If only she knew there is no such thing as "good diet food."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starving, what is for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. bent: Yes, there is.

    d-neta: Your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little curious about what you are cooking for dinner but I'm too shy to ask. :-) If I leave right now I should arrive for dinner tomorrow. Formal or informal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with bent on this one. I just hate anything with the word diet or lite in it.

    We eat very healthily when Bing cooks. We eat oatmeal, grilled cheese sandwiches or soup when I do. I am a rotten cook.

    I just wish that Bing and I had more of the same likes with food. She is a herbivore and I am a carnivore. I have asked her more than once if we could have something besides vegetables and cardboard for dinner. She wasn't amused.

    But, in retrospect, it is probably because of her that my doctor's checkups are always so excellent. My cholesterol and blood sugar are nearly perfect. My blood pressure is normal.

    Maybe you could write a blog on healthy diet foods?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute picture!!

    Diet food. Is that like sauteing chicken in olive oil instead of frying it? I got no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:12 AM

    My kids have a problem with me and my "diet food" too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to ask what was for dinner. I'm always impressed with people who can cook, though I do have an uncanny ability to get the pasta done just right every time. It's like my superpower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:21 PM

    I'm with Neta...what's cookin' good lookin' (said strictly in a friendship sort of way, Neta) ~eb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surrrrrrrrrrreeeee EB!!! LOL You got you eye on my woman, don't ya?!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one hell of a hat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey - my sister has discovered some excellent and edible healthful fare...my kids even like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids are pretty good about cooking. Of course, I have to put a halt on having mac n' cheese with everything. But, for the most part, they do pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast for Katie, but I did add a plate of fresh fruit. Does that earn me points for good mothering? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dinner is usually fish or chicken, baked,grilled or sauteed (in olive oil)& veggies in some form or fashion. Garlic, onions, herbs abound & salsa of many varieties is always around.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.