Thursday, September 13, 2007

Three Plus One

The folks over at The Lesbian Lifestyle poses the question, scenario: If I were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would I bring and what one person would I want there with me and why?

After some careful consideration and calculation, I offer this reply:

I'm taking the liberty in presuming that I wouldn't be stranded forever (in re-runs) ala Gilligan and the crew. That said, I would like to have: first, a photo of my son and daughter. Looking at them never fails to bring a smile to my face, warmth to my soul. Secondly, I'd like a musical instrument. A piano would be fantastic but I wouldn't want one of those tinny sounding kiddie units or one of those electronic keyboards. Batteries, even if I had an endless supply, do not appeal. I wouldn't want to be compelled to think about storage solutions. So, I think a guitar would fit the bill nicely. And finally, a very large music book would be in order as I would want to learn to play actual songs.

The person I would have with me, my girlfriend. She's the one person I'd want to explore other ways to spend time once we were spent reminiscing or strumming.

7 comments:

  1. reminiscing or strumming...is that what it's called now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it ever occur to you in the course of contemplating one of these hypothetical desert-island scenarios that you're actually ready to take whomever up on their offer and leave this Popsicle stand to the folks who seem so hell-bent on running it into the ground? Yeah, me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent choices--I'd still want the professor's radio to cannabilize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I'd want McGuyver-ish smarts, lots of trees/forest/vegetation, and a beautiful beach to live on with my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd want Bing with me. Is that terrible? I mean, if I was NEVER going to be rescued, okay..she can come. But, we don't vacation well together at all...

    If this is a short time thing, well...I think maybe Anne Lamott because I would love to just hang around and discuss the world with her. And Liv. And a gigantic box of snickers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM. Snickers. As much as I love them, I can't justify putting them in my list of three. For me it would be my husband - he's very resourceful. ;)
    1) a cozy blanket -nothing is better than wrapping up in a warm blanket when there's a cold breeze. 2) sunblock - always protect your skin. 3) a notepad - writing makes any situation better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my perspective is a bit different than everyone elses.

    My first choice would be a sharp knife, second would be a sharpening stone, and third would be an unlimited supply of Bic lighters.

    I would choose someone that would be the "woman of my dreams", the one I want to spent the rest of my life with.....unfortunately, I haven't found her yet......

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.