Monday, November 12, 2007

In His Words

He titled the email: Menorahs and Turntables. It went on to say:
I invite you to Laura Jacqmin’s (Chicago Dramatists Resident Playwright) world premiere of Butt Nekkid directed by Side Project Ensemble Member Gina LoPiccolo.

The play tells a tale about a Jewish music producer, his determined daughter, and a Hip Hop artist. Their lives collide in this drama examining the truths about religion, race, and culture.

I play Lawrence, the ever aspiring Hip Hop artist looking to crossover to the rap game and get signed. The character is a lot of fun to play and I had such a blast doing the research. Nothing like waking up in the morning to the sounds of Public Enemy, Nas and The Last Poets.
I'm going to the theatre tomorrow night to see my favorite actor do his thing. As he suggests he throws himself into researching a role and it shows on stage. Moreover, local theatre community is beginning to take note of his dedication, work ethic and talent. His name has been thrown into a few hats--opportunities that he's had to turn down because of other commitments, he was recently nominated by a local Arts Alliance for a best actor award for his last role and he was recently cast in a small but pivotal role with the very prestigious Steppenwolf Theatre that will go up in February.
The blast he gets from doing research is nothing compared to the blast I get from seeing him onstage. I hope all this blasting isn't hurting your ears.

9 comments:

  1. Are you to be subjected to his nekkid butt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm.. I don't know. He hasn't said. I'll find out soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wheeeee!!!!! Yay!

    And other happy noises.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news...but the nekkid butt would make me cover my eyes.

    Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woman, I'm right there with you. Enjoy enjoy enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's SO cool, Deborah! Mazel tov (sorry, couldn't resist!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, he has an agent, right? He is so going to be a great actor...and famous too. You may even...hold your breath...get to meet famous people...like...like... Britney and Lindsay! I'm sure that would thrill him so!

    I bet you're burstin' at the seams! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Nominated for an award. That's gotta be a big ego boost. Artists need that ego boost thing.

    Totally awesome, mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just so cool.

    I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.