Friday, December 21, 2007

Sing A Song of Six

In the latter part of 1966 I was six years old. I can't recall many specifics of the beginning of my six year oldness. I do have some some memories. I can remember starting first grade. My mom had a fondness for dressing me in dark or checkered jumpers, white shirts, ankle socks and saddle shoes. I wore saddle shoes or sneakers to school. Though, as a younger student (pre K) T-Strap Mary Janes were the shoe of choice. I think those were my "church" shoes. 

Other memories about first grade include being asked all the time, "why isn't your brother more like you?" There are many differences between me and my brother, so many that folks wondered about our parentage. My very different brother was starting third grade in the latter part of 1966 and had a penchant for getting in trouble. His teacher called me to the office nearly daily to pin a note to my jumper for our parents. The notes never made it home. It was my third grade brother's responsibility to walk my first grade self, saddle shoes (or sneakers) and all, home.

Hello? Heck yeah he took the notes.

Eventually they caught on and stop pinning the notes to my jumper.

The most vivid memories of 1966 revolve around music. The radio and 45s played constantly in our apartment. My mom played number twelve on the list: What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, Jimmy Ruffin played in a loop so often she wore it out and had to buy another record. I know I've got to find, some kind of peace of mind. ohhhh ohhhh As I recall, she wore out many discs.

Neta and I have re-counted many of memories from our respective childhoods over the past year. In six days we'll get to do that (and more) up close and personal.

4 comments:

  1. My mom bought me oxblood red leather shoes with slippery soles for the start of the school year. Every year.

    I never did like those shoes.

    6 days! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1966, I was five and had my tonsils out. I was forced to wear dresses that felt neither natural nor normal. I listened to the song "Ballad of the Green Berets" my mom had on 45 and "Strangers in the Night" which was on the jukebox at the restaurant my worked in on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 1966 I was 4. My mother used to listen to Jim Reeves and lie on her back on the floor in the living room. I couldn't tell you what I had on my feet unless it was Easter... then it was black shiny Easter shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the shoe wars of first grade in 1966 -- I wanted penny loafers, my mother held steadfast to saddle shoes.

    But what I remember most distinctly was being one of three narrators of the first grade Christmas festival, 101 fever and all. We chosen three, as it happened, all ended up at Seven Sisters colleges -- we'd started out being the only three children in our grade who could read by Christmas.

    Reading: now there's one life skill that's come in handy. I'm not sure I'm living up to what promise I had at age 6, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.