Sunday, March 23, 2008

Like Any Other Day

I don't get together with my brothers. The older is in Texas and has no interest in being in Illinois and certainly no interest in being part of this family, or any, perhaps. That may be changing as he appears to be in recovery and softening on some points. But, we don't talk so I don't know that to really be the case. The younger is still in jail. He's been offered a plea bargain deal but he won't take it. His wife is scrambling to get him legal representation. I do try to foster a relationship with his kids, but it is tough as their mother is, in a word...harried for a number of reasons not the least of which is the scrambling with my brother. They do however, have an open invitation to come by, anytime. They couldn't today because they live several miles away and are very active in their church. In years past that was the life my brothers and I led and in turn the lives my two led. Easter Sunday meant dressing up in your finest duds, going to church often participating in a special program and eating a huge dinner.
This Easter Sunday was different in several regards. Mom came by after her church service to share a meal with me and daughter. Son couldn't be here for he had two performances today and the break between them was not sufficient to allow the trip our home for dinner. He'll come by later in the week for the "basket" I packed for him.

As our lives continue to change so too will our "holidays" and our gatherings.
Purdue beat Utah. Fudge, there goes another bracket. Ah well, hopefully all the rest of the seeds will hold court. Either way, YaY for March and the Madness of it all.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Deborah.

    Yay for March Madness, indeed.

    GO UCONN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those hats! Stylin. So whoever took the picture of the three of you, we're they being all artistic with the framing of the picture? Nice view of the sidewalk.

    Hope you have a lovely Easter day up there in the land of O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you HAD a lovely Easter. I'm having tense issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were a sharply dressed family that is for sure! I think I like the yellow dress better!

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Val. Go UConn indeed. Until, well, you know. :)

    eb: Mom snapped the pic and no, not being artistic, just being mom. She has progressed to cutting off the tops of heads and entire people from group shots.

    We did have a lovely one, thanks.

    Yeah Shazza, sharp that was us, now & again. Thanks for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could just squeeze all three of you for looking so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I think I stood outside a house similar to that in my Sunday bonnet about the same time. Your big brother is dressed the same way my grandpa dressed for church. Very natty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a group of cuties. I'm glad you had a nice easter.

    I hope the bracket gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter!
    There's something bittersweet about family growing up and doing their own things, isn't there? I'm glad you were surrounded by loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.