Friday, March 28, 2008

Speaking of Crabs

It may surprise you to learn that I had my first crab leg February 14, 2008. My daughter, cuckoo like Co-Co Puffs over crab legs decided to prepare some for the Valentine’s dinner she prepared for her boyfriend. I was invited too since I was, you know, home.

I like crab meat. I’ve always only eaten it though after it was out of the crab. Crab cakes, crab salad, Flounder with crab meat stuffing. You know, like that. I never had any inclination to tackle crab legs. None.

Tackle some I did on February 14, 2008. It came as no surprise that the meat was succulent and quite tasty. In fact the entire meal was delicious. Also not surprising was my dislike of the effort it took to get at that succulent meat. Pain. In. The. …yeah, there.

It probably would get easier as time went on if I kept at it. The boyfriend and D seemed to be having fun (they’d both had crab legs before). People in restaurants always seem to enjoy the effort. Me? Nah. I like tools but the crab crackers don't excite.


Though the meat was yummy, I've probably had my last crab leg, King or otherwise. Probably. Someone might be able to entice me to give it another whirl, someday.

10 comments:

  1. I love crab legs. But it really is a whole lot of effort for very little payoff. But imagine how expensive it would be to pay someone else to do that???

    Seafood is less expensive down here, so I indulge occasionally. But it's a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crab, and crab crackers don't work. If you ever do decide to have another go at it, plain old kitchen sheers work much better.

    Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore crab legs. My aunt taught me how to crack them like a pro when I was a youngster. My Mom says crab legs go on the endangered list when I go out and eat them. I tell ya...I got skills. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE them... I just started eating them when I met Linda... she turned me onto them and other things, but I digress! :)
    We turned Sophie onto crab legs and not only does she like the meat, she is an EXCELLENT cracker, so we like bringing her along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took Teresa for crab legs when she graduated from college. She had never had them before. We were at the restaurant for four hours, but she was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But are they sexy? Hmmmm.

    I'm still not there with the crab legs being sexy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not pointing any fingers syd but I'm not sayin' either way. I haven't known any long enough to fully assess their sexiness or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep trying crabs, but I just don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next trip to CHI, the crab leg is on me - we'll see if you can resist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't tried them yet. it always seemed like too much work, though like you, I love the meat. I also have nightmares of sending things flying all over the place.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.