Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Four

I was four when I started school. It was head-start. Mom thought I needed my shyness tendencies eased a bit. I don’t think it worked, then.

Anyhoo…my teacher was Mrs. Stomper. I remember because her name rhymed with romper. Remember Romper Room? I think at some point, in some parts of the country, it was known as Romper Stomper.

Anyhoo..Mrs. Stomper looked a little like Mary Tyler Moore as she appeared on the old Dick Van Dyke show…”ooooh Roooob!” You remember. I don’t remember much else about Mrs. Stomper beyond her name and what she looked like, except, I remember liking her and for my first experience with Chicago public school teachers, she wasn’t so bad, in fact, looking back, she was probably one of the best.

Anyhoo…four.

How does one squeeze four months of not seeing one another into a paltry 4 day visit? One doesn’t, one just make the best of the time one has.

One did.

7 comments:

  1. One does not indeed. One needs to buy some kind of 'miles' card and start flying and buying your way toward another visit.

    Hope it was a great trip for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tag, You're it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though it was a long wait I'm glad you had a great time.

    I totally remember Romper Room. I was on it when I was four or five. Ugh...thank god VCRs were not around back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good visit. Those are some long-ass breaks between visits. Don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur.

    We both need to do something about our situations me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep.. 4.. seems to be a pretty common number. A number I'm beginning not to like so much.

    I know you packed your days as best you could to refuel for the wait between the end of this visit and the beginning of the next. Glad you had that time together, sorry you have the time apart. I know how it feels; that bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya. But, I guess the only way to reconcile it is to think of the alternative: No days together. It sucks still, but glad you have the right attitude of just doing what you can, when you can, till you can.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.