Thursday, May 01, 2008

Hello Dolly

During a recent phone call:
Son: Hey

Me: Hey yourself

Son: How’s it goin’?

Me: It’s goin’ how ‘bout you?

Son: Good, good. Do you still have those VHS tapes I left?

Me: Hmmm..sure, I think so

Son: could you check?

Me: Uhm, ok. Give me a minute to get up, I’m sitting on the floor and it takes awhile to get up

Son: Yeah, yeah.

I roll to a standing position and limpwalk over to the cabinet holding tapes, cds and dvds.

Me: I see the Lethal Weapon boxed set, Scarface, NBA Jam Session, Shaquille O’Neal something or another, Moonwalker . .

Son: ok, ok. I’m going to come over and get those. N (the girlfriend) has a VCR. We have to have some different things to watch. I mean, I like 9 to 5, but I don’t want to see it all the time. Hey, what is it with young white women and Dolly Parton? There were those two at school who were craaaazy about Dolly. Remember?

Me: hehehehehehehe, I do remember. I don’t know son. Personally I was / am all about Lily Tomlin.
Son: I know, right. Me too. Oh, did you see the A&E Biography tape, the Sidney Poitier? That's the one I really wanted.

Me: uhm…no…oh wait, yes, that’s here.

Son: Good. She doesn’t know who Sidney Poitier is. She should know Sidney Poitier. I’ll come by next week or so, I’ll be close, I’m a guest judge at the spoken word event at the high school.

Me: Yes, she should know Sidney Poitier. How did the guest judgeship come about? You guys still have travel plans?

Son: I couldn’t believe she said she didn’t know Sidney. The judge thing, Mr. Kahn forwarded me and e-mail and one thing led to another. She’s trying to get us somewhere.

Me: Well, if she brings up Dollywood, you should probably try to go.

Son: yeah, yeah, we’ll see. I gotta go shave my head. The show's done, I can get rid of this hair now.

Me: Ahhh...well congratulations on getting through all 60 performances. What's next?

Son: I've got some auditions and I'm doing something at Looptopia, I'll e-mail the info.

Me: I don't know about Looptopia, D might come down though.

Son: Cool. I'll call when I'm in the area

Me: Good talking with you son, take it easy. 9 to 5 what a way to make... Hello?

Son: Bye, ma.

Me: So long son.

3 comments:

  1. Cool conversation between a cool son and cool Mom! :)
    And yes, she SHOULD know Sidney...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a hurry, ain't he? At least he calls. I can't get Notorious B.E.N. to take time out to call me. I'm going to assume there's hope, based on your baby who flew away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful conversation to have with a son! I can't wait to have a conversation like that with mine. But first I have to figure out how to get him out of the house! heh

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.