Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Not In the Game

Eventhough I've told him that I'm not a fan of the NBA anymore, a co-worker wants to know every morning following a play-off game if I saw the game. Every morning I tell him that I didn't. He proceeds to give me a run-down of the more scintillating moments. I listen to be polite. I even make a comment or two.

But I don't care. Really, I don't. Knowing who plays and who wins is simply an accident of memory. I check in with SportsCenter (for other sporting news), there are the crawlers along the top (or bottom) of the screen during my local newscast, I might catch a flash of conversation on the bus or train or glance at the sports section of some commuter's newspaper. The data enters and sometimes it clings whether I want it to or not.

The Finals start tomorrow. The Boston Celtics will battle the Los Angeles Lakers for the title in a best of 7 series. A decade (or more) ago I would have cared. Not now. Except if I did care I'd want Boston to beat the Lakers because "Doc" Rivers played HS & college ball in the area and I always liked his play and demeanor. Conversely, I really, really, seriously, really don't like Kobe. Seriously. One more look at his tongue (you ever notice how often he licks his lips when he talks?) and I'm going to hurl my salad. Seriously.

Play on but I don't care. Seriously.

6 comments:

  1. Laughing. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I H-A-T-E Kobe's lip licking. And even though I like Garnett, his theatrics get on my nerves.

    But, I don't pay attention to the NBA either.

    [wink]

    ReplyDelete
  3. NBA is BO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-RING

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stand watching the guys play. Bring on WNBA any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't even get me started with Kobe. I'll probably watch some of the game tonight but only because I want to see the Celtics win. I don't know why but I just can't watch much NBA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a Kobe fan - arrogance, entitlement. Of course, the Lakers are the Sacramento rivals. Not that I care.

    The WNBA, now that, I like.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.