Monday, June 02, 2008

Quirky

I was tagged (again) to do 10 (different number) things about me (meme). I’ve been thinking about this much and then again, not much at all and then much all over again. I’m hung up on the quirky. Quirky quirks me out perhaps. But, alas, quirky or not, here we go:

1. My first fried chicken dinner was a complete bust. The chicken was beautifully, golden brown outside and a bloody un-done mess inside. I was eleven, I think.

2. I redeemed myself eventually, but then, by that time I didn’t care about preparing food for anyone in my household.

3. Still, the skill came in handy during the rearing of my own children. They grew up eating a lot of fried chicken.

4. My mother had no active role in teaching me how to cook. Ergo, I learned most of what I know long after becoming an adult, a mother.

5. I do not like my water (drinking) or most any other beverage iced, usually. Chilled is ok, iced is generally too much. Waiters (more than waitresses, oddly) tend to question my –no ice- request.

6. A co-worker revealed to me today that he loves peach cobbler and loves to prepare it but can’t stand touching fresh peaches. The fuzz quirks him out. I, on the other hand, don’t care much for peach cobbler but I do adore fresh peaches. Canned peaches (his preference over even frozen peaches) quirk me out.

7. Generally, I don’t like sipping through straws. Obviously in some cases (milkshakes, smoothies) straws are a must, but otherwise, I do without.

8.I found out today that I like cranberries in tuna salad.

9. I don’t like green grapes, but I like all the others. I especially like the sweet grapes added to a buffalo chicken salad.

10.Buffalo chicken salad makes me think of Toot’s, which makes me think, Tennessee, which makes me think Neta, who makes me feel all quirky inside and out. Yum.

6 comments:

  1. I'm laughing because this post triggered a memory. The first time I fried chicken, I was preparing my first dinner for a date. I had a contraption called a Fry Baby and I decided to make fried chicken. Of course, I didn't bother to read the recipes that came with the cooker, I just rolled the chicken in buttermilk and flour and threw it in until it...um...looked done. About three minutes. I was SO proud of my great looking chicken until my date took a bite of it and gagged.

    It was raw in the middle. I'm lucky that I didn't kill her....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good fried chicken is hard to cook. I have a hard time not burning the outside and making sure the inside is done. My granny make it perfect...I haven't had hers in over 30 years...I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I'm a pretty good cook, but fried chicken...I can't do it. I've tried it several times, and it is always perfect on the outside, and naaaasty raw on the inside. Good think I don't really like fried chicken that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just gonna smile.

    I sat at my Grandmama's knee and my Momma's knee when it came to cooking. I couldn't help but be a good cook. It took me into adulthood to realize that most people didn't have that experience.

    I have my Grandmama's fry pan, but I took my Momma's translation that puts that pan into the oven, after draining fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fried chicken - teh yum. Can't make it though.

    cranberries in tuna salad? MUST TRY! Thanks for the new idear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer like ice in my drinks. I think my teeth are too sensitive.

    Fran loves cranberries in tuna, along with diced apple and crushed walnuts.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.