Thursday, July 10, 2008

10:40 p.m.

I was on the floor. I don’t know why, really, I continue to get on the floor to lounge. Being on the floor is comfortable enough, depending on certain conditions and circumstances. It is the getting off the floor that presents the challenges and various aches and pains. It takes nearly forever and sometimes forever and a day to roll up to a standing position.

Anyway, I was on the floor when the phone rang. It was a distinctive ring so I knew the caller to be mom. (Aside: Recently, I’d discovered that somehow my mom’s assigned ring tone had been changed to mimic Neta’s. I’d answered a –mom- call by saying, “hey, baby love.” I recovered quickly enough I don’t think she noticed, much.)

Anyway, mom called at 10:40 p.m. last night and after confirming that I was not in bed (an inference as to how long it took to answer the phone) told me that she’d spoken with M and, “he didn’t sound good.” I was about to opine that he was probably tired, when her call waiting beeped and she excused herself to answer the other call.

While she was gone, I was thinking that I should probably just go to bed, I was mostly dozing anyway, Neta and I had already talked and certainly there wasn’t anything compelling on the tube. I was shutting things down when mom returned to say she’d talk to me later. Trumped again.

This morning I called M just to confirm that his “not sounding good” was in fact, fatigue. It was. His long work day was topped off by a very hastily planned and very long photo shoot, publicity shots for a new play he’s doing. He relayed that he’d spoken with mom this morning as well. She got started at about 7:30, warning him off the planned meeting with the (former?) gf. Mom was concerned that gf could be trying to “set him up.” For what, neither of us could figure. Mom tossed around some Sodom and Gomorrah references at which point, M begged off, citing that work beckoned.

I’m quite sure that I haven’t heard the last of these warnings or other tidbits related to the (former?) gf. However, I am sure that I won’t be getting back on the floor anytime soon.


It has not been a stellar day and work is not helping, at all.

6 comments:

  1. Getting up off the floor surely can be challenging.

    Here's to better days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get yourself into yoga, woman. Rodney Yee has some good yoga cds out there. Seriously, you will find getting off the floor is much, much easier after you've ommmmed and stretched.

    It's always good to be warned about Sodom and Gomorrah. Then you'll know where to go to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aren't Mom's so helpful???!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is dead, but I do have a mother in law. She calls to tell me that there is are storms coming, toilet paper on sale at Walgreen and to remind me that I am about to turn 50.

    Thank god for caller id. I usually just note her name and then make faces at the phone while she drones on and on and on....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole point of caller ID is so that you don't have to pick up the phone at all. That $100 a year investment in telecom has probably saved my mother's life. One call a day is all I can handle. The rest go to the answering machine, thankyouverymuch.

    She calls with the weather report -- as if I don't have my own TV, can't look out or reach outside the window, and don't have an internal barometer to tell me if I have a migraine, we're going to get rain soon.

    But, like you, I'm the only daughter. The phone calls come with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remind me WHY you got up to answer the phone? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.