Thursday, October 09, 2008

Her Name

A friend asked Ellen DeG to give me a wake-up call. She did and I was tickled pink. Thanks friend.

I, in turn, asked Ellen DeG to call Neta (and a couple of others). Ellen DeG had a problem with my request for a call to Neta. "I'm sorry, I cannot say that name." I was given the option to have the call made without a name (boooo) or choose another name. Well, Neta has a middle name so I tried that. Nope. "I'm sorry, I cannot say that name." Well, fudge.

I went back to Neta, spelling it the way it sounds: n-e-e-t-a-h. No go.

I tried n-e-a-t-a. "Sorry, I..."

I thought about trying any one (or all--until accepted) of our endearments for one another. Then I thought, screw it and just went with the message without a name.

Well, double fudge.

I'm inclined to think it was just a glitch. Neta isn't a rare name nor particularly hard to pronounce. Oh sure, some folks might say Net-ta instead of Nee-ta, that would have been acceptable. But unable to say any variation at all? Odd.

Then again, my mom has a difficult time with Neta's name too.

Mom: How is...uhm, your friend, in Tennessee, what's her name?

Me: Nee-ta.

Mom: Oh, I thought it was Net-ta.

Me: No, it's Nee-ta and she's fine. (aside: yum).

Mom: Oh, I thought...well, you know your father's wife is.. Me: Yes, I know, but her name has two Ts, it's Net-tie.

Then, of course, we get on to a conversation about 'dear old dad' which is where I sign off.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I have a whole blog entry about what they did with mine! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom does that too. I hope you are doing it to your kids. Apparently, it's a mother's obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as it happens I never have to ask after son's or daughter's whoever. They volunteer data about whoever, up the whazoo, all. the. time. ~~not complaining, just noting, for the record.

    My mother, though, does to them what she does to me, so they are not deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... i've been pronouncing Neeta's name as Netta. I sit corrected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen couldn't say my name either. Booo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is she still living in denial?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.