Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tone

Please advise asap! Thank you!

The email from a representative of the collection agency we use to help with some delinquent balances arrived yesterday with the ending you see above. It rubbed me the wrong way. I felt like I was being yelled at or at the very least that the agent was being snappish with me I didn't like that, not one bit.

We don't know one another and I felt that she was presuming I wouldn't take her request seriously or worse, would ignore the message altogether. My perceptions could have been off, I acknowledge as much in the email I sent back. I allowed as to how punching up her sentences and requests with exclamation points could just be her writing style with no (negative) connotation or intent on her part whatsoever.

The agent writes back (sans exclamations) thanking me for the information and for expressing my thoughts. She further writes, "I am a happy person and like to use the ! to express that although not always used properly. Thank you for advising me of that no telling how many other people feel that way."

It's pretty easy to mis-read or mis-interpret tone in emails. You don't have body language or vocal inflection to guide you. All you have are the words of the text and the images and punctuation the author chooses to add at their discretion. If the author is known to you pin-pointing their tone might be easier, but it is in no way a snap. I've stepped in some mis-read, mis-interpreted doo doo and will probably have to wipe my shoes a time or two or more in the future.

With business emails I usually just let these things go to my "oh well" bin and leave it at that. Yesterday was not an "oh well" day. I had to say something to the agent and in so doing I learned that she's a happy person. Good to know.

7 comments:

  1. I've gotten those from our outside law firms before -- or worse ALL CAPS.

    I just want to write them back and cuss them out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:51 AM

    I wouldn't bother to answer. Ha!
    Good thing you are nicer than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M GLAD YOU SAID SOMETHING!

    *snort*

    i have quit using capital letters in my writing altogether in honor of e.e. cummings, well, okay its because i am lazy... it makes me wonder if people think i have low blood sugar or something. ;)

    oxox
    neen

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT? Did you think she was being a little too emotional????!!!!

    Because some people are just HAPPY, D!!

    And they have to get it out and all that shit....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to be like Tina, but I'm not. I would pick up the phone and totally leave no trace in writing of what I had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An exclamation point is a bit chirpy to me, not just in email but in actual narrative writing.

    The problem with email is not just that it's difficult to convey tone, but that most people have trouble writing a coherent sentence in the first place.

    Good for you for calling the chirper on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to keep this post in the back of my mind.

    I have to check myself because I use exclamations a lot more than I should. I'm not the one to put little circle or hearts on my "i's" or on my exclamations...it's just a bad habit I got into.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.