Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's A Man! It's A Woman!


The best part of any holiday gathering is having the two of them home together. Thursday's sit down included daughter's boyfriend and also had them checking out early to head out to his family's gathering, which I suppose is a sign of changes to come. Change is good. I mentioned to both my son and daughter that I look forward to being their guest in their respective homes someday, nearly as much as I look forward to hosting any gathering as one part of a pair.
Though the holiday gatherings are sweet, 'tis a sweetness tinged with sour. Sour because a certain someone is not in residence. Yet.
Thanks to son and mom, most of the food of the day is now history. Pumpkin soup remains to be served for my lunches this coming week, which was the plan. I knew no one would try it because no one else likes pumpkin. I'd never tried a soup before and I was very pleased with the result.
I'm happy that we don't participate in the large, extended family gatherings much anymore. The small, sedate gathering of just us allows time and space for a real visit, real conversations. I've noticed though, that my mother has trouble tuning in on protracted tales, partly because of her hearing issues and partly due to a lack of an active interest in many topics.
Also in her last few visits I've discovered her studying my photos, posters and bookcases, as though trying to garner some insight into just who the hell I really am. The 1,001 questions she routinely asks and the answers I've provided don't seem to satisfy.
I don't think the photos, posters and books satisfy either. They tell such a very small part of the tale. What's odd to me is how it is that after 48 years of nearly daily contact, I feel like such a stranger to her lately.
Sure, I've changed over the years, but the base, the essence is still...me.
Isn't it?
The photo isn't from Thanksgiving. I didn't take any photos that day. The photo is from when brother took sister out to celebrate her birthday a few weeks ago.

8 comments:

  1. Great Photo, tho'!

    Glad your Thanksgiving wasn't nutty as some family gatherings seem to be, particularly on that holiday.

    Maybe she is still wondering how you could have been "straight" all those years & now have come out? It is curious that she is still so intensely observing your old photos, but then I do the same with my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love big holiday gatherings, noisy tables, and kids/teens antics and stories. It's hard when our families are spread across the country, and/or split by both marriages and divorces. I think it's going to be just Fran and me for Christmas, the thought of that is rather depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children are beautiful Deb!

    I don't know when you "came out" so to speak but I think for some parents it's hard to adjust. My Mom went through the whole range of emotions. She even asked me is that the reason I took woodshop instead of Home Ec in high school. She was looking for clues too.

    There is a very good line from a book called "The Gathering" by Anne Enright that has really stuck with me: People don't change, they are only revealed.

    You've revealed your true self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo.

    I'm with you on small gatherings. They are much preferable to large events. Only slightly behind my true preference...NO family gatherings at ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small is good, but here's hoping that a certain someone is a resident VERY SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great pic!! There are only three of us so almost all family gatherings are small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the large getherings for what they are and the small gatherings too, for what they are.

    Maybe a card for mom telling her you are ready to answer whenever she is ready to ask? Are you ready to answer?

    xo
    qm

    ReplyDelete
  8. If she asks, I'll answer.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.