Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Walking, Too

Most of us figure out how to do it within the first couple of years of our existence. As we grow out of infancy, we begin to become aware of our extremities and start testing. We grasp with our pudgy fingers, using our rubbery arms to pull ourselves up on wobbly legs to a very shaky stance.

Then it happens. We toddle. A process that includes more falling than anything resembling walking.

Eventually, we grow more confident, stronger and before we know it we’re walking, running, and heck, some of us are even jumping.

I don’t know about you but I never gave much thought to the process of walking. It was just something you did. It wasn’t like learning how to ride a bike, or even learning how to roller skate. With those activities there were instructions, rules even, to follow.

About the only things I ever heard about walking was, “walk, don’t run!” or “be careful where you walk” or even, "walk this way" which, I guess can be construed as instruction.

Over time we each develop our own walking form. This form is predicated on many factors. But, still, I don’t think there is much thought about the process, except of course for those folks walking competitively or those folks who learn to walk for fitness. There are rules of form related to such walking.

My concerted efforts to walk faster have resulted in me paying much more attention to form. I’ve discovered that to walk faster I must breathe differently. I’ve had to alter my gait. Not to mention adjust my posture and surprise, surprise lift my feet. In fact, my entire leg (well both of them) is fully engaged. Actually, this walking exercise is a full body experience.

Imagine that.

Anyhoo, I am so into the process now that I’m inclined to believe that the occasional trip on a sidewalk that inexplicably rises up to meet me is just me feeling nostalgic for the good old days, like March 3, 2009.


Stepping off.

3 comments:

  1. good walking to ya, kiddo! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:16 PM

    you make it sound so spiritual. perhaps I shall take a walk this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spiritual indeed!

    love yer guts!
    neen

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.