Tuesday, September 29, 2009

bubbled over

I'm a fan of love stories in reel life as well as real life. No wonder then that upon learning of the screening dates for "Hannah Free" I immediately marked my calendar, determined to attend at least one of the screenings.

Very soon after I began making my plans e-mail from one of my newer meet-up groups announced a meet-up to the 9/25 screening.

Hot Dog. I rsvp'd!

The night of the 25th I found myself in the famed Gene Siskel Film Center, ticket in hand, domestic beer on the table talking with Linda. She relayed to being new to the area, finding herself suddenly and surprisingly single after 14 years with, "the love of her life." She accepted a job in Chicago, packed up and moved. She joined a couple meet-up groups, signed on to attend this screening and here we are, trading tales.

I confessed to lacking confidence in these kinds of situations, but was determined to force myself out, expand my zones of comfort. Linda thought I was doing very well, engaging, making eye-contact. She thought I seemed at-ease, quite comfortable.

A few sips of a domestic beer and being in a roomful of amiable lesbians might have factored in my level of comfort. Or not.

Me, Linda and others (it's not clear if we were there to meet the same meet-up group or if we were parts of two groups) found seats and chatted a bit more before the movie began. Just prior to lights out a group of women (and a couple of guys) walked toward the stage to address the audience. Sharon Gless was one of the group. AND she spoke!

Be still my ♥ !

The evening, already a pleasure leaped to sheer joy. The only downer, not on the evening specifically but for the past couple of weeks, and especially the last couple of days, my emotions have been in hyper-drive. I cry at the drop of a pin these days.

That is buggin' me out and driving me to distraction.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:47 AM

    Nice to live in a city that has smaller theaters that play non-blockbuster films! (we only have one, and it only has two screens)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun, I'm glad you went.

    I hate those days when you feel like you don't have control over your emotions. Every now and then, being a girl sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did Linda get your number, or did you get hers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are brave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NCP: It is nice. One of the many things I like about the area...the options for and of things to do.

    Syd: Tanks, it was fun. And yep yep...riiiight? Sheesh

    Maxine: No, numbers weren't exchanged. But, we'll meet again, I'm sure. :)

    Maria: Thanks. I wish I felt brave (more). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, how was the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiff: The movie was great. A friend provided a very apt description. It was shot in Chicago, in 18 days, on a bare bones budget. It was, as I've heard and read in many of the interviews and articles, a "labor of love" and to that I add...about love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are lucky it played in your City! Wish I could see it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.