Saturday, March 16, 2013

Not the Same Old Song *

Mem'ries, like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored mem'ries . . .

Deep inside the recesses of my mind is what was playing on the radio during my first solo road trip. Gosh darn it if I could dredge it up now even if my life depended on it. The music I remember during that trip, beyond the rattling of my nervous energy, was the song of sweet flirtation. 

We'd met on-line just a few weeks (maybe a couple) prior to my trip. We emailed furiously every day after the initial meet. Somewhere around day 5 we exchanged phone numbers. Emails turned into text messages which turned into phone calls.

During the eight or so hour drive to Memphis we spoke twice, perhaps thrice. So charming was her accent, a mix of nearly native Tennessean, by way of the west coast, by way of Europe. What was said during these calls? Couldn't tell you. What I remember is how the timbre of her laughter and deceptive cadence soothed and thrilled me for the next leg(s) of the trip. 

Excited to meet the ladies from Texas? No doubt, but fueling that trip, beyond all the firsts...was the flirt and the sweetness of that sound. 

It changed me. She changed me. 

Mem'ries, like the corners or my mind, misty water-colored mem'ries . . . 

*Scintilla Prompt (Friday)  Thursday and Saturday. . . thinking. Loving the challenge, the sharing, the stories. 



            


3 comments:

  1. Ah ... I have a story like that. Although we didn't meet online but on the phone via a mutual friend.

    Long, long phone calls and excitement crackling the wires until finally a roadtrip to meet.

    Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Ah yes, I remember you telling us about "Tennessee" when you arrived. Hard to believe that was six years ago now. Time marches on, many changes and all...but I remember that trip quite fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥ @ Em.

    Me too E. Me too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.