Tuesday, March 01, 2016

On Repeat

I got Aretha in the morning
High on my headphones and walking to school
I got the blues in springtime 'cause I know that I'll never have the right shoes

Momma she'd notice but she's always crying
I got no one to confide in, Aretha nobody but you
Momma she'd notice but she's always fighting
Something in her mind and it sounds like breaking glass

This song / recording is old however new it may be to me. I heard it for the first time a couple of weeks ago while listening to one of those DIY streaming music sites. It was suggested because I played (or searched) for something else. I don't even know what the something else is now. I may have it written down somewhere but for the life of me, I can't bring IT to the surface now. If it is meant to come back to me, it will. But for now, I am all over Rumer (stage name) Sarah Joyce and her tale of a girl being lifted by the music of Aretha Franklin, trying to forget just how bleak life is for her and her mom. .  


PS:  Spring? Oh yeah, two words: wintry mix. 



11 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much music accompanies our lives. Much like movie soundtracks, music can sadden or elevate and set the tone for all our emotions. It pulls us through. So much of my early life's soundtrack revolved around Billie Holiday and Janis Joplin. And strangely, I'm back to listening to them again with a whole new perspective and appreciation.

    Today's weather looks like I should be listening to Christmas carols : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Within the last year or so, I have begun (again) to embrace and let notes embrace me back.

      Opened one of the morning papers and bam: an ad for "A Night with Janis Joplin". . . a whole new perspective and appreciation.

      Winter may be over now. Please. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. I am going to see this in the summer as part of our yearly theater subscription, and Beautiful, the Carole King musical. So excited!

      Delete
    3. So excited for you!!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Girl! I love this. Sweet voice and pathos. How are you? Have you heard this woman here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-cbPWmhkY I have lost my mind over her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Girl, Hey! I am as well as could be, given the givens, I think. ;-) I hope you are high-steppin. I had not heard of her. Thank you for bringing her to my attention. I shall be exploring. ♥ this track.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I like that you are rewriting the sound track of your life. Of your current times and situation, of the place you're in now. I love that you are choosing your music.

    Rock on, Middle Girl. Your fan base is with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another friend and I used to spend Friday evenings on chat, email stringing together songs that fit the mood of the day/s. I really miss those gatherings.

      I hadn't realized how much until recently. Hadn't realized how important music (ultimately) is to my centering. And yes, how these days it is different than days gone by.

      ♥ the cheers!

      Delete
  4. This is great. The words kinda break my heart. It is so hard being the girl without the right shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard being a girl without the right shoes. Ain't that the truth.

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.