Monday, June 13, 2016

Hazy Days


Three years ago this month I was laid off from my job, still reeling from my mother's death a few months prior. I'd been with the family of companies since 1979. In that time I married, had (and raised) two kids, got divorced, came out as a lesbian, had relationships with two women, came out as atheist, sat with my mother during her last week, last seconds....

In other words, lived a life. And then part of it, a big part, was suddenly over. Well, not so sudden, I'd read the writings on the walls. The company had fallen on hard times and ownership mis-manged away all of our futures.

So, a shift was in order. A re-building, re-branding. The last three years have been among the most challenging of my 56. And let me tell you, I've had some challenging years. But, having said that, I sit here today . . .

Photo: Facebook
"When something bad happens you have three choices. You can let it define you, let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you."  ~author unknown. 
able to say, able to be . . stronger.  May peace be with the family and friends (and all of us, really) affected by the Orlando massacre.  
Equality Florida established a donation site. 

14 comments:

  1. I was so thrilled when I got to the part about re-building & re-branding. So many people don't listen to themselves and spend their whole lives doing something or being with someone they should have have moved on from a long time ago but get so stuck in the routine (or the misery of it) they never make the change. You accepted the challenges and after the mourning saw them for what they really were: An opportunity to turn the page. Great!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turning the page, yes.

      Thanks for your uplifting words.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I had a similar thought when I was having a hard time yesterday – at least I'm here to see another day. Breaks my heart that so many in Orlando were robbed of that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perspective is sobering, especially in light of all that has happened this week. It's a hard world; on the personal level and on the larger community level. And some days are just about putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing life so far -- to have so many experiences and all of them YOU. I hope that your challenges ease as times go on, and you find a wonderful peace in a new rebranding and rebuilding. Also, I am so sad with you for what happened in Orlando. So many lives, ended or forever changed, and all for hate. Makes my heart hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a ride, quite. A little less bumpy would be welcomed.

      So senseless. So wrong. So sad.

      Delete
  5. I need to rebuild and rebrand. I've managed it in terms of my reproductive (or not, as in my case) life, but not in career terms. Well, that's not quite true. I rebuilt and rebranded ten years ago, and it worked for a while, but I didn't keep the work up. Now my interests are different, so I need some further rebuilding and rebranding. But it's never too late! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world has become a very broken place. But broken bones heal stronger. Broken people can heal stronger. It is my hope that the world will heal stronger too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'tis noteworthy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I get knocked down, but I get up again; you're never gonna keep me down!'
    You are a strong and resilient woman, D. Hard times happen to all of us, it's how you handle them that matters. You chose to rebrand and rebuild. Props to you.

    We are all reeling from Orlando. I only hope that this can be a real catalyst for change.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.