Tuesday, December 05, 2006

...and in other news

SOS, derived from the Morse code, became an international distress signal in November 1906. I remember learning the dots and dashes in elementary school. It was mandatory. I went to a Samuel Finley Breese Morse Elementary School. Morse created the system originally for electronic telegraphic communications. The system, though mostly obsolete now, was used widely for early radio communications.

The first phonographic record player, the Victor Victrola was manufactured in August 1906. I remember having records. I still miss my records.

In October 1906, the Grand Duchy of Finland became the first nation to adopt universal suffrage, including minorities and women as candidates. Though there had been some small victories by this time in the United States, struggles for full voting rights for women and minorities continued. Finlandia, the Vodka of Finland was the Official Vodka of the Taste of Chicago this year. I remember voting. I did not drink any vodka before, during or after voting. I like rum better.

There were many other notable events during 1906, the registration of Rolls Royce, Ltd., a major eruption of Mount Vesuvius, a major earthquake in San Francisco, Teddy Roosevelt’s trip to Panama to inspect the construction progress of the canal, to name a few. Teddy’s trip marked the first time a sitting US President made an official trip outside of the United States.

Somewhere in the midst of these notable events, a little company was formed.

Today, on this day, 100 years and some days later, I celebrate my 27th anniversary with said company. I started here 27 years ago with quite a different plan. I was spouseless, childless and as it happens, rudderless.

A plan, marvel of fluid necessity, continues to drive me along a course paved with obligation and a desire to eat, drink and be merry. Who knows where this road will continue to lead? And while my little milestone goes widely un-noticed, just like the start of this little company, I continue to take note and remember.

6 comments:

  1. Longevity must be your middle name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! 27 years is a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A plan, marvel of fluid necessity, continues to drive me along a course paved with obligation and a desire to eat, drink and be merry. I LOVE this.

    Congrats on all you've accomplished, rudder or no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Sounds like having a good attitude about life has done you well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, 27 yrs!!!
    Now darlin', I KNOW how hard it is to stay so long with ANY company!!!
    In the end we are certainly blessed to not have bolted & lost out on seniority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:05 AM

    Congrats, Deborah!

    (1906 sounds pretty interesting, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.