Sunday, January 07, 2007

One Down

The first week of 2007 is in the record books. And?

Temperatures in the Chicago area were warmer than usual. Stories about golfing being the new winter past-time made the rounds of a couple of local newspapers and Internet sites. Joggers donning shorts for lake front runs this week made the news as well.

Towards the end of the week we were a pummeled with a bit of rain, but that is a small price to pay for being passed over for the below zero temps. The rain was fine by me. I’ll take 40 degree temps and a bit of rain over a foot of snow and frigid temps any day.

What did I do this week? I worked Tuesday through Thursday. Work was, as it mostly is, not many surprises, certainly nothing worthy of news coverage. Unless you’d like to know about the poinsettia sent by one of the vendors. The poor thing is losing the battle to be-fast. Each hour results in a new round of shedding plant parts. Not pretty. Not at all pretty.

Home life might have provided more opportunity for wow. But, alas, no wow to be had. Most of the week was spent weeding through profiles and emails. There are a couple quite possibly worthy of note–for another time. I posted about where my head is (or was that day) and about hope being alive.

The big deal this week, was taking the day off work to clean. Officially, the day was taken because there are 2006 vacation days still to take, so take them I must. Friday the 5th-is the first of five. I used this day to clean. In addition to the sweeping, mopping, scrubbing and shining-I was doing purge and shred duty. Friday was the perfect day because Saturday was all about sports.

I was also filling in my 2007 appointment book. Yes, I do rely on my paper date minder. Not only does it mind my dates, it is the place to make quick notes, when my journal or the computer is not handy. I will sometimes use the appointment book as an attitude jump-start kit. This is in addition to my lists, which is another matter altogether.

Before discarding my 2006 appointment book, I must go through the pages to see if there is anything, incriminating highly personal that should be shredded. I reach August 2006 and right there, at the top in the notes section: Goals for this month-Get Head Out Ass-Focus on G
Catch up w/everything!! Have Let This Slide * * Focus * * G refers to my place of employment.

There are other little doodles and sprinkles but this is glaring out at me in different color ink.

As I recall, I did catch up with everything in August. Focus slid around a bit throughout the rest of the year. I hope to have to have a handle on it now, but if not I’ve got my appointment minder to bring me back into the fold.


6 comments:

  1. It reached 73 degrees here in Maryland yesterday. I loved it!

    Good luck with fulfilling your aspirations. Focus! Focus! Focus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! "profiles"....

    I signed up for every site that came up on google... do you know what I found? The same 7 lesbians in boise...and me...

    *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true Nina. I found this from an old post, and think it applies universally to signing up for more than one or two: The second observation came shortly thereafter: Many of these people are single for very good reasons. And, most of them post on all the available sites. So, while you may think your net is cast wide, it’s really stuck in the online version of Friday night at the one bar in town.

    Good luck Middle Girl...Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori lmao... "Many of these people are single for very good reasons." Too true.

    TOD... using your vacation days to clean? Fabulous. Coming home to a clean house is a vacation unto itself at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share many of the same challenges; I wish I shared your motivation. I'd be absolutely lost without my planner.

    Good luck finding the "wow", and a belated happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 40 degrees is a tad bit chilly for me! I would be an icicle in a matter of minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.