Wednesday, June 06, 2007

D Smiles


That smile, along with other fine attributes, has brightened many a day for me. My daughter’s smile and the soon to follow laugh morphing into a snort, if she is truly tickled, energizes rooms. My rooms, anyway.

That smile aside, D can be formidable. Her at times bold, brash and full of fiery bravado personality tends to have her leaping first and asking questions, or rather, suffering the consequences later. She is also fiercely loyal and passionate. She can also be very heart-warming, gushy. Many of our days together have been a roller-coaster of events and the ever present emotions. She has been known to thrill, entertain and supremely frustrate me multiple times in a single day, her favorite parlor trick since even before she was born.

D and I went to a batting cage recently. She found it hard to believe that I hit the ball better (at first) than she. I was pretty shocked too. I haven’t swung a bat at a ball in...I don’t know how many years and she is the better athlete, generally. Better, I did, but she wasn’t bitter. We were having a very good time, as we do so very often.

There are waves, swells even. I can be over-protective and enthusiastic about control. She can be impulsive and stubborn. Surprised? It shall be interesting to see how we will further relate now that the male ballast has vacated estrogen central.

The last few months have been somewhat trying for daughter D and mom D. Although very supportive of the later in life lesbianism in a theoretical sense, D has struggled with the reality of the actual girlfriend. D likes Neta, as much as she can given what she knows of her. And she does trust my judgment and that I love Neta, but D wonders how my burgeoning relationship will affect her, or rather me and her. "You will change mom" she asserts. Well, of course I will, for the better. I will be (have been) even happier, even more fulfilled, for starters. For D it is complicated, yet simple. She doesn’t want to lose me.

Of course, she never will. Never could.

My daughter has dreams that will likely take west, to California or Nevada. These dreams won’t become reality for some time to come, in the meantime, I continue to assure her. Continue to be a passenger, sometimes associate driver in the ride that is D. Being her mother is the adventure of a lifetime. Being her friend is a treasure and a privilege that I cherish every day.
Keep on smiling baby girl D. Mom D thinks you are da bomb!

13 comments:

  1. Great blog baby!! YOu know I am always right behind you, and I think you are great mom...one of the many many reasons, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothers and daughters are always negotiating with each other. I'm 45 and still doing it with my mom.

    Your kids are your joy - that much is obvious.....nice that she doesn't want to lose you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My relationship with my mom is tumultuous and intimate in a way that I could never share with someone else. It's amazing, the road that mother's and daughters take together. Both being female, it seems easier to think of myself as a part of her, and vice versa. So when we have conflicting opinions, it's as if I'm fighting with myself. I love her more than I can ever express and I know the feeling is mutual.
    I'm sure as things change D may feel a little insecure, but I'm sure you'll continue to reassure her that she is just as important as she's always been.
    She just needs time to come around to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder, does daughter D worry yo umight become hardcore scary looking dykish or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter...my joy...my challenge...so different a relationship than those with my sons...my baby too...and also with a killer smile. We're lucky moms, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ..this is a great post...tribute.

    Am an only child who grew up with my father... my female relationships tend to be few... very few. I think I have some sort of disconnect because of it.

    However, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate this post... I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great smile!! Way to go Deborah...what great kiddos you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mother and daughter relationships are a gift ... in my eyes anyway. My ma was my best friend and no one will ever come close to her ... we talked about everything ... laughed about everything ... jut did so much together and Im so glad I have so many brilliant memories or her in my heart and mind to keep me going for the rest of my days :-)

    Im so happy both you and D have that too :-)

    Love and kisses xXxXxXxXxXxXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post! What a wonderful thing to have your daughter as your friend!

    Have you asked her in what ways she's afraid you'll change?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are both lucky to have each other!
    And yes she DOES have a killer smile!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Deborah.. You're both so lucky to have such a great and open relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's had all of your attention for so long I can see why she's worried. Your new life is another push for her to explore her own life. That can be a very intimidating thing when the current life feels so safe.

    Yes, she does have a glorious smile. She's a beautiful girl, I hope she makes her way out west before she gets too old to think she can't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neta: Yes honey I know you are and that means much. I love you too.

    Tiff: Too true about the negotiating, I'm 46 and my mom and I..yes, still that. Thanks for the kind words.

    amaya: I hear ya, joy & pain, sunshine & rain. D and I talk often & frankly-much more than my mother and I did/do..so that is a big help/plus.

    maxine: I don't think so, at least she hasn't said. Tho..she has been pointing out some rather frilly outfits for me, totally against my character as she fully well knows.

    H@Home: Yep. Lucky Indeed!

    blahx3: Thanks & welcome!

    chapin: thanks & thanks.

    mh: I agree, m & d relationships are indeed a gift. I'm glad you do indeed have those wonderfully brillant memories to hold onto.

    sf: Thank you, it IS wonderful to have my daughter as a friend. She humors me even while frustrating me. Yes, I have asked her..and she seems reluctant to articulate the specifics..I think it has a lot to do with what eb said....safety. comfort...my accessiblity to her and her views and aspirations for her own life.

    kmae: glad you're back! Lucky, yes, we are. Isn't that smile something? --thanks!

    Val: Thank you!

    eb: From everything D and I have talked about, the things that were said and those not--I think this is very close to -if not right on- the money.

    She will.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.