Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lil Bit 'O Change

“Mom, are your breasts getting bigger?”

Why, no they are not. In fact, my breasts are exactly the same size they were when I graduated from high school 30 years ago. My breasts and feet are about the only (physical) parts of me that haven’t changed during that time.

I’d like to think that the rest of me is getting so much smaller, so much faster that by comparison, my breasts look bigger. But uh, no, that wouldn’t be it. What IT is, my daughter correctly points out, it has been warm and I’m wearing tank tops. She has rarely seen me in a tank top.

Tank tops have not been a staple in my summer wardrobe for many reasons. Primary among them though is that I’m more often cold, not warm. I wear sweaters, jackets, long sleeves and mock turtlenecks year round.

Or rather, I should say, I did, until a couple of years ago.

I started noticing the change. It was very subtle at first. In the winter I found that I could get by with only one pair of socks on the coldest of days. I didn’t panic when I couldn’t find my gloves. In the summer, air conditioned rooms didn’t annoy and freeze me nearly as much as they once did. I am not quite as comfortable with the sauna-like conditions of my rooms anymore.

While I don’t experiences the flashes of heat typical of my age and stage and still prefer the very warm over the even moderately cold, I find I’m becoming more tolerant of the cold and less of the heat. Thus, the tank tops. Still, though, I wear my button down shirts over the tank tops. Open to the abdomen. Some of the shirts are short sleeved.

11 comments:

  1. As I grow older I find I am less tolerant, period. Maybe I am getting crotchity along with old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully my breasts did get larger after high school, but so did my feet.

    Hot flashes make me year for a walk in freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boobs have gotten bigger. I have gained 15 pounds in the last 6 months......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only get the flashes at night...so far.
    See now, here is where being a lesbian gets... tricky. My wife and I, a year or so apart in age - are poised to 'change' at the same time. Luckily the kids should be out soon enough to save themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot flashes...not so much, but waking up in the middle of the night with a drenched neck when it is 70 degrees inside with the air on and a ceiling fan on high over the bed, umm, maybe.

    I would bet you are getting smaller everywhere else. Not just the tank tops.

    Take your well deserved bow, missy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine are man made so to speak, they are actually smaller than they used to be. By the way baby, I loveeeeeeee your breast......

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Maxine suggested, take your bow where it's due. A willingness to wear tank tops and parade those upper arms—always a problem area—is indication, to me, that you're feeling pretty good about your bod!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you're trying to tell us that carrying and birthing two children did not change your boobs?

    I need photo evidence before I believe that. Before and after shots, please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not going there... hot flashes and shit. I gotta find a way out, I still have time...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, not very many pics. However, I kid you not, breasts--no change. Butt, hips however....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I figure by the time I start with hot flashes I won't be freezing all the time! As it is now I'm almost always going around with a blanket around me or something, and Fran's got one of the many portable fans in the house pointed on her.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.