Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Moment of Sun

The sun shone today. For a minute, but it was out there blazing away like there was no tomorrow, if ever so briefly. Taking advantage, I took not only the usual mid-day walk, but another to boot. The need to soak up as much sun, all bright and shiny, is powerful these days. I hope this sun shining folly extends beyond the brief stint it shared today.

Though walking is my most routine exercise regime, especially during these cold weather months, I find the walking much productive when I have a specific destination. Walking around a couple (or several) blocks and then back again just doesn’t hold much interest for me. Obviously the lack of interest doesn’t extend when walking with the dog. When I have the dog with me there is the dog and the dog’s business on which to focus.

I’ve tried listening to music while I walk. Sometimes effective, however, more often than not the music creates a dstraction that I just can’t handle. I have flashes of klutz and those seem most active when my ears are dressed with listening devices. I’ve tumbled up and over my fair share of curbs. I’ve tried to mask the tumbles as dance maneuvers but the moves fall flat just as my body hits the pavement.

The destination for the mid-day jaunt was none other than the land of Ohhhs. Ohhhprah has a store. Not just an on-line marketplace, but an actual brick, mortar, glass and steel structure where wares are sold. The store is staffed by perky folks clad in black, business casual attire.

…and pink silk bunting draped over anything that would stand still. If you know your “Steel Magnolia” quotes you know what comes next. Trade the silk bunting with “O” all over and you have what it felt like to be in Ohhhprah land. Pass the Pepto.

Not quite the thrill ride of say…Elvis’ Graceland, the land of Ohhhs offers its own unique brand of worshipping, right down to the huge plasmas offering favorite Ohhh scenes, interviews and special events. The empire that is Ohhhprah has grown again. What’s next you might ask, a reality show?

As a matter of fact…yes.

I’ll make it back to the Ohhprah store, though not to purchse. It’s just a place to go during my mid-day walk.

9 comments:

  1. Good job getting out on walks. I don't even leave the house some days. Depresso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lunch time walks are never that interesting, just through the boring neighborhood and little main street with drug stores, fast food places, and various small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grab that sunshine while you can!!!

    I love taking walks during the day to break up the routine and I agree...it's better when you have a destination, but I'm still exploring Philly, so I'll turn down a street I've never turned down just to see what is down there a lot of times.

    The thought of another reality show on TV makes me queasy...even if the big Ohhh is doing it.

    Stop the insanity!

    Enjoy your walks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:57 PM

    "My colors are blush and bashful."
    "Her colors are pink and pink!"

    Keep walking! I used to walk just over two miles a day but have had a foot problem for the past several months and I miss walking.

    That O store sounds just a tad scary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walk the dog three times a day. We try to vary the route so he won't get bored. And he is a smart dog, has figured out that once he poops (and I bend over and pick it up with my baggy lined hand), we head back home. So, I am convinced that he holds it as long as he is able....

    But, when the sun shines, life feels fresher, happier, more livable, yes?

    And wow....that Oprah store sounds truly strange....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear we will have sun this weekend. I can hardly wait. Keep your chin up...the end is near.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sun is peeking through from time to time here and I'm grateful...it's exciting and reenergizes me completely. I love Spring...I love seeing the birds at the feeder...people in the park...and I love just to sit on my ass and watch it all, but my dogs won't let me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to go to the Oprah store. This is a 'before I die' destination. We're making plans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have finally started walking, and having a destination certainly makes the journey more pleasant -- though I ponder what Robert Louis Stevenson said: "'tis better to travel hopefully than to arrive." Clearly he wasn't walking for exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.