Sunday, July 06, 2008

Change of Plan

The 4th holiday was to have included my son & his girlfriend, my daughter & her boyfriend, baked chicken, spaghetti, potato salad, corn on-the-cob and apple pie. He called around 2 p.m. and announced that they wouldn’t be coming over.

Son: I don’t think this is going to work out.

He broke it all down in the next two hours. I listened, commented and advised where I could.
More of the same came on Saturday. I was out running errands and doing laundry when he called the cell. He needed to work it all out in his head, in my ear.

Son: Save the spaghetti, I think I’ll be able to come through on Sunday.

The word came late (very late) Saturday night.

Son: Well, it’s done. She wasn’t interested in a slow down, it was all or nothing. She put my stuff and a box and asked me to leave. I’m walking home now. I feel . . . ok.

We talked for three hours late Saturday night/ early Sunday morning. I learned more about what he felt their problems were and what he’d tried to work through them. I listened, commented and re-assured where I could.

He didn’t come over on Sunday, so the spaghetti (and the pie) will be on ice.

PS...He called just before I clicked Publish Post-

Son: She called. She felt like things spun out of control and wonders if we can meet some time next week.



11 comments:

  1. Girls are evil.
    Girlfriends even moreso? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. Not. Looking forward. To that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how old they get, it's nice when they still need to talk it out w/their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, D...boy, do I know what he means. She's so, so, so...young! I'm glad you were there for him. I have a feeling the torture will continue. Much like a lesbian breakup. Or at least my last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Ack! That's hard . . .

    You're such a good mom to be there for him like that.

    Hope things work out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool that he has you to bounce things off and does so. Such a great thing.

    Hope things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's hoping they can work it out if it should be worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those (or rather us) white grrls are always trouble. Ask my ex mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man. The suck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BLLLEEEEEECH!

    I hope your son is doing OK with it all (yeah, that can be relative). I'm sure he is glad that you are around as a good sounding board and a source of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the support. He'll be fine. I spoke with him again last night and after having also hashed it out with the ladies in his department at work, he's pretty solid on his decision.

    They are, however, scheduled to meet in a TotLot on Monday @ 6 p.m. to....finalize?matters. He's hoping to get his James Baldwin book back.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.