Saturday, October 25, 2008

So It Begins...Again

When can I see you again
When can my heart beat again, baby
When can I see you again
And when can I breathe once again
And when can I see, babe, again
Wanna see you again
Again...*

The wait until the next time. At present that is tentatively February. Could be a small, short trip before then, but then again . . .

The trips are hard. The travel part is becoming easier and in some ways, sad yet routine. This trip down there was the usual: constantly chattering toddlers (& mother, aunt and grandma heading to Tennessee for a family wedding), someone who couldn't quite grasp the concept of the overhead bin door, a chronic (fill: cough, sneeze, wheeze, whine) and a cowboy hat wearer. The return travel featured the oh so routine sit-on-the-runway-30 minute-weather-related delay, the must make 400 phone calls before cellphones must be turned off person, sarcastic flight attendant, the "oh, is this row 7 I thought this was 6" person and the frantic fleeing of patrons trying to make connecting flights. Routine.

Though ecstatic at the thought and overjoyed at the actual experience of seeing, touching and being the the company of Neta I am always sad when our time comes to an end. We are always sad. This time and each time, even more so. This time after I returned we had...words. Many, many words later we are coupled in a different way and though not much closer to shrinking the physical distance, emotionally we couldn't be closer.

Long distance relationships are hard, everybody has told me so. 'Tis true. In general, though relationship are tough, especially in the beginnings and even more especially when you have the extra added pressures of all the coming and going.

Relationships go through phases. The transitions through said phases can be bumpy. Neta and I are able to talk and more importantly, listen to one another. It remains to be seen if, or rather when when we will be able to break through the barriers rooting us to our respective turfs. But at the end of the day we have a deep and abiding love and respect for one another. She is quite simply, my heart and I will move heaven and earth to be with her, always.

*When Will I See You Again Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds

6 comments:

  1. In the end, that last sentence is the only one that counts, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She is quite simply, my heart and I will move heaven and earth to be with her, always."

    I agree with maria, this is the only one that counts. I hope both your barriers are broken down sooner rather than later. As I am tiding and "making room for" the trappings of my love I can't help but yearn for the same for you my friend.

    oxox
    nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. eb and I lasted 3 weeks doing the long distance thing after our first face to face meeting. Wusses are we.

    For the plane, you need an ipod. The 1 gig shuffle is about 60 bucks now I think, and it not nly helps remove yourself from the external chaos, It discourages people from talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that song...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot believe you've been able to bear the long-distance thing this long.

    Talking, and mutual respect, are so so SO very important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wishing you shorter distances and soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.