Thursday, March 12, 2009

We Know of Each Other

She is not that kind of friend. She is more of an acquaintance. She was a co-worker many years ago. Briefly, I was her boss. We had a cordial relationship, but nothing I would categorize as “friends”. Yet, when the employment circumstances forced us to part ways, we traded email addresses and said we’d keep up, the way folks who worked together companionably do.

Like many of the others (the company that employed us went through a monumental change and 90% of the staff was laid off) who danced this ritual, the expectation was that after a few emails, perhaps a holiday greeting or two, new lives would emerge and communication wane.


Not Joan. A decade later and Joan still emails. To say that Joan and I have nothing in common would be the understatement of the millennium. Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration. We do in fact, both wear glasses and we’re both women. Soon, we’ll both be in our fifties, though I think by the time I’m in my fifties she’ll be in her sixties. Or at least, knock, knock, knocking on that door.


Our dance, Joan’s and mine usually begins, “Hi Debbie: I haven’t heard from you in a long while.. " And that would be because we’re not friends and certainly not confidantes. And yeah, she has always called me Debbie despite my gentle prodding when we worked together, Deborah. She continues, “write you this little note to find out if you are okay and what is going on with you.”

A little background, I get one of these haven’theardfromyouinalongtime emails every 5 or 6 weeks. I reply with a short, friendly or rather cordial update of the current surface factoids of my life. In my reply I inquire in-kind and get zilch in return, until another 5 or 6 weeks. That is unless she’s in the middle of a crisis with her “man friend” or in possession of gossip concerning another former co-worker that she's itching to spill.

She finishes, “I am okay. Please write soon and let me know what is going. God bless you, Joan”.

As previously noted, my replies are short and to a particular point. Given that we have very little in common, there is little in the way of quid pro quo and I'm rankled by the write soon directives, I should probably refrain from replying at all.

But I do, mainly because she has the number (and extension) to the job. She will call if I don't reply. I know, she's done it. Trust me when I say, addressing Joan's sporadic emails is a more palatable exercise than conversing with Joan on the telephone.

Be that as it may, I am of the mind to re-assess my approach to one Miss Joan.

13 comments:

  1. This is funny - I've had people keep in touch for a few months, but never years like that. She sounds a little nutty. Or she went to one of those job networking seminars she paid $500 for that gave her advice to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is her name really Joan? Makes me nervous you know. :-) Hey at least we laugh when we talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm - she sounds kind of lonely. She grabbed on to something to give her life a little meaning - maybe that was you!

    Or shes just a busy body - but then why?

    People are interesting animals aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit, I'm horrible at responding to emails from old friends or old flings. I enjoy receiving and reading them, but well, I rarely respond. I'm such a taker eh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...'God bless you'

    Tell her you're a lesbian, then see if the emails continue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, what eb said!! Seriously, isn't a lot of efford for someone that isn't really a friend?

    I was tempted to change my name to Joan, just to scare you when I commented, but that wouldn't have been very nice!!! hehehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. snort

    i say you take eb's advice.

    neen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Chapin. It is. :-)

    Thanks ladies. I did tell her that I am a Lesbian, months ago. So far that hasn't altered her pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jesus, GOD, that would piss me off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So if you already told her you're a lesbian, then just talk about only lesbian stuff when you reply... Like prop 8, dating & lesbian couples, gay churches etc. See if that stops her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Write and tell her that God blessed you with a beautiful community of friends... a lesbian community. :)

    Okay, seriously, people like her are what Facebook is good for. You can put whatever up on there, they see it, and know more about you w/o you ever having to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and I have this in common. I wish I had the balls to be mean. I wish there was a nice way of being honest with someone you don't care to talk to anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely time to reassess. Suggest Miss Joan find a hobby, something like off-shore diving. Cross-country driving. Anything to remove her from the apparent temptation of the I-net. And of course, if you don't reply for long enough, there is always the reason, the ISP ate my messages and just burped them up at will.

    Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.