Thursday, October 17, 2013

It IS still October! Yes?

Nothing new, Macy's announced a day or so ago that the Black Friday events will begin on Thanksgiving Day. This has become the trend in recent years for retailers. Thus, I'm wondering how much longer Black Friday</> will be so named. 

And if the Black Friday events begin to take over Thanksgiving Day in a wholesale manner, what then will become of Thanksgiving Day?  Will it too become black? Or gray? Or . . . ?

I'm not a shopper and have never ventured out on the Friday after Thanksgiving except as a hostage. Thus, Macy's, Casey's, Dancer's, or Prancer's being open ON Thanksgiving Day matters not to me except for what it says about the universal US that cares more about being out scrambling around some emporium trying to score 40% off some thiga-ma-what or hulla-bla-lube instead of the usual, lying in a drunken stupor of too much turkey and mashed taters.

The holiday shopping season is make it or break it for some retailers, I get it. And with the competition from the internet retailers growing by leaps and bounds, the brick and mortar stores feel forced to do whatever they can to get folks in the doors spending, the sooner the better.

Again, this is nothing new. For years now the December holidays have bled all over Halloween; long before the last costume or bag of candy s gone from store shelves are those same shelves being laden with all manner of glittered baubles. Happy Holidays!

Some of us, however, are reveling in all that is fall, the leaves, the air, the pumpkin infused . . . everything and sweaters.

Once day at a time. Savor the day that is . . today. Happy October 17, 2013.



8 comments:

  1. Savor the day, savor the season... I'm not one for rushing to the next thing. Plus, I hate shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days and times move along so fast (seemingly) anyway . . slow down. And seriously? Ten (or more) weeks of Red, Green, Glitter, and Fa La La(s)??? No thank you.

      Delete
  2. I walked into a Walgreens a few days ago and Christmas decorations were up. I asked an employee what was up with that and she told me that she was just following manager's orders...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decorations now and on Nov. 1~the carols. I'll be happy to limit my visits to retailers until the season is over.

      Delete
  3. I really like this post. It resonates with me. I normally stop going to stores near the end of October because seeing all the Christmas trappings on the first of November is disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be grand to be able to stock up enough to stay completely away from retailers for two months.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:37 PM

    I hate seeing Christmas right now. (I was looking for soap and wound up under a noel sign. Why??) I also detest the idea of moving the Friday to Thursday.

    You've inspired a post. And I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, why?
      What burns me the most is thanks to the seasonal aisles--which like the expansion of the season itself seem to increase every year--I can't find what took me into the store in the first place.


      Inspiration. Yippee!

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.