Monday, January 15, 2018

Unfrozen Drafts

Thanks to the high winds in recent days this jaunty fellow lost his topper. He has also in even more recent days, lost his footing due to even higher winds and quite possibly critters meandering about in the middle of the night. He now lies forlornly on a neighbor's lawn, unlit. Serving no visible purpose. Waiting to be relieved of duty until the next holiday season.

He's in good company. Many neighbors have yet to remove their holiday decorations. Maybe due to the kind of weather we've been having over the past couple of weeks. Maybe due to each of their personal preferences regarding such things. Maybe due to not having the time or energy. Maybe some combination of all those things.

Whatever the reason I am looking forward to the vestiges of the season to be gone.







9 comments:

  1. I'm with you. There are still some people around with lights on at night here in Central Florida. It kind of depresses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights, I've (sort of) gotten used to as so many people here have lights year 'round. Still, though . . .

      Delete
  2. I'll confess to being one of those annoying people. Not yard decorations, but the sparkle lights. I use them for my porch light all year round. They cheer me up. In fact, a strand burned out and I'm debating where I can get a replacement before the holiday rolls around again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen the "lights year 'round" trend expanding here in recent years. Though, I was walking the pooch last evening and saw a string of lights on a balcony and by the light of the humongous TV, a lit Christmas tree in a corner of the room. Their apartment, their life. But, really?

      Delete
  3. Our deer blew over and then froze, legs up, solid into the ground. It was very embarrassing. Finally that 2 day warm up let me pry them out of their frozen grave. But I see a lot of neighbors are having the same problem. I can't imagine what will turn up after the Spring thaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mid 40's weekend weather prompted our neighbor to de-holiday their house and yard. Except, on the forth level, the attic window is sporting some kind of lighted fixture. Maybe they forgot or maybe it is intentional, like their flag. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Also, what I usually see in the Spring thaw is a lot of petrified dog poop.

      Delete
  4. I love this tilting, hatless snowman as a total symbol of the post-season malaise. We're doing the final de-winter-holiday-decorating cleanup today. Our wreath on the door is sad and brown, and I'm ready for a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does / did make quite a statement.

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.