Monday, February 19, 2007

My Girl

We’ve know one another a long time, DB and me. We met in high school, home room, day one. Over the course of the next four years we laughed, cried and danced together. DB was older by a year, yet we were in the same class. That first year we had nearly every class together. Many the second. By the third year we’d begun to separate. She went the way of Business Sciences, I went to Art. Still, we hung out as much as possible.

She was not an only daughter like me, but she was the ‘go-to’ daughter whenever her family had a crisis, which, like mine, was often. DB liked to forget her troubles by going drinking and dancing. She liked to take me with her. I couldn’t go much, because I couldn’t get out of the house as often. Besides, I was very shy and didn’t like being around a lot of people. DB helped me with my shyness, she was extremely gregarious and fun-loving. Unlike my friend Vee, who was more like a big sister (before becoming un-requited love interest), DB was a pal, one of the first, one of the best. She took me to my first bar. I was 16. We met a couple of Kenyans who, we found out later, wanted to get married. We chatted, drank a couple of rum and cokes, went to the ladies room and didn’t return. DB liked one of the Kenyans. He was cute, she kept saying later.

DB lived on what I thought was the edge back then. She was a regular at a few bars, she dated older men, at least one of whom was married. I was visiting DB one Saturday. We’d spent most of the afternoon playing tennis and cards. She decided she wanted to go visit her boyfriend, who’d been ill. We took a bus to his house. Rang the bell, was invited into a living room, where we saw two women of different generations and three children. DB announced the purpose of her visit and was led down a hall to I presume a bedroom. She returned in pretty short order. We left. DB quick stepped to the corner, where she stopped and screamed, "shit!" As it happens, the younger of the women, was the boyfriend’s wife.

After high school, DB and I went our separate ways. We did stay in touch via cards and letters, through some college, marriages, children and divorces. We are still in touch, mostly via email, even though she lives and works in Chicago, we don’t see each other often. When we do get together, it’s like 1976 all over again. We laugh about the past times we had and the times we have with our respective children and families.

For all intents and purposes, DB is my best friend. She certainly is my oldest friend. Yet, I haven’t been able to tell her about this past year. The full some of my past years. I haven’t been able to say to my girl friend that I am attracted to women and that I am pro-actively seeking to date persons of the female persuasion, towards the hopes of finding a steady girlfriend, partner.

I’ve wanted to tell her, have tried to tell. Since a recent promotion, she’s been extremely busy and hasn’t been as responsive to my emails and invites to lunch. So, my news is tabled, for now. Recently, the news has begun to burn a whole in my throat and I am resisting the urge to hire a sky-writer to pen the message among the clouds.

I really should tell my mother before I do that, though, I’m thinking.

16 comments:

  1. You should tell DB before you run into her at a lesbian bar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say tell DB first!
    Write her one of you eloquent letters & present it to her. (If she has time, tell it to her face then, but she'll have the letter to go over after she comes down from the shock,) if in fact she hasn't already figured it out.

    She may be fine with it.
    If not, she'll get over it sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, what if you just sent her this blog entry??

    ReplyDelete
  4. she'll be more supportive than you realize. i'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Kmae's idea. You are articulate and eloquent - write her a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the girls - write a letter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, take pen to paper. You'll feel better, it's really not worth all the angst. she'll be cool with it and if she's not, screw it and move on with your life. Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:09 AM

    lol at max

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was on the receiving end of that conversation with my best friend from high school a couple of years ago.
    My feeling was, "ohmigod! She was miserable all these years having to hide her true feelings. What a shitty friend I was!" and then I felt bad for a while. But, things are good now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:26 PM

    i have a best friend. we met in gr.7 and are still friends today. when i finally left my marriage and told her of my true self, beign gay, she said she already thought that, and what took me so long to tell her. i told her i was afraid of losing her friendship, i had heard so many stories of how poeple you thought were your friends just turn away. she never did, and she told me that no matter what we would always be friends. and we are. the weight of that burden was lifted off me. it was hard for me to share wiht her, but anyone i have told outright has been ok with it. it is ME they like to be around not what i'm labled as. best of luck to you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:53 AM

    If you were already friends I have a hunch she will be cool with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. friends are friends no matter what, good luck, get it off ya chest.... she will be there for sure
    ciao4now

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:06 PM

    I think the sky-writer idea is an excellent one.. just get it out there!

    OK, it might be a little pricy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEVER tell your mother first. Oh wait, that's NEVER tell my mother first. Never mind.

    Tell your friend, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Relax. When the time is right, the truth will come easy. Be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like kmae's suggestion of sending her this blog entry ... you speak beautifully about your friendship with DB and i think she will surprise you ... use this as a dress rehearsal for your mother ... :> ... good luck - it's SO worth it

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.