Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up, The Story


SUNDAY: The rain didn't start until after I left home at around 9 Sunday morning. I still could have turned back. The bus was still some minutes away. I sip my coffee, contemplating. I decide to go on. I didn't turn back toward home. I figured worst case I'd be damp at the parade, and / or I could always leave mid-parade if it got too bad. But, it didn't. The skies cleared and the weather was just gorgeous. As were the sights, sounds, and sense of community felt throughout the day. *that's my friend Goody, she took the pic.

The parade is as it always (well, the three I've attended) is...full of politicos, costumes, thumpa thumpa beats, and people. Lots and lots and lots and lots of people!!! What I've liked most about the three (well, actually 2 1/2) parades I've attended is the diversity. Younger, older, many cultures, truly a veritable, well, rainbow. THAT is simply divine.

Saturday: The sun was out in full force. I slunk around the condo much of the day, slinking myself right into a headache. My daughter needed her hair braided and while I love my daughter dearly, I no longer love to braid hair. After the braiding we had an errand and it is here I provided the opening for the headache to attack. I took a nap, woke to see USA lose to Ghana and nearly decided not to go to the Pride Fest. Not because of the soccer game loss, but because I was feeling sluggish, tired, and didn't really want to go alone. But, I bucked up, got dressed, and went. And I'm glad I did. It was great, great fun!

FRIDAY: I'd RSVP'd to attend a function after work which I rarely do because it makes for a really long day. But, it was Friday. I didn't have to be up early the next day, so I went to the world premiere of Genderblind.

Here again, it was nice to be among family and given that it was a predominately Black (or African-American) affair, felt even more like a family gathering. I enjoyed the film, but would have enjoyed it more if some technical issues had been addressed prior to the screening. The story is quite powerful and thought-provoking, but the soundtrack got in the way. I also thought the filmmaker a tad too ambitious as the story-line seemed to go off the rails a bit. But, I applaud her effort and diligence in breathing life into her dream. Bravura.

It was a wonderful event and I'm glad I participated, even if it did make for a long day / night (likely contributing to the headache on Saturday).

All-in-all, Pride weekend 2010 was colorful, robust, fun, chock full of a cast of characters, and good times which will blend into lasting memories.

4 comments:

  1. oooh damn, a headache thru all that?
    You are a true trooper.\Plus the pic looks great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than the headache, I love it! Glad you had a great weekend, there really is nothing like the city in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting out there. and that is GREAT photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you went and had a jolly time. Pride parades in my city are pretty sparsely attended and the media is horrid. They carefully only record the most lurid looking transvestites, the most effeminate men and the butchiest women around and then televise them. The people watching never get a chance to see the ordinary doctors, the postal workers, the waiters, the 9-5ers, the MAJORITY of us that are there too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.