Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Out Art

Work, home, groceries-repeat. Slight variations week to week, but basically my routine is work, home and groceries. For big fun, I might choose Dominick's over Jewel's. Dominicks in my town sells liquor, the Jewel's does not. Well, the small Jewel's, the one closest to me, doesn't The big one does. My town is dry. Packaged liquor sales are banned, or rather, restricted to certain retailers and specific locales. There aren't any bars in my town. By-the-glass liquor is only available in establishments serving food. I'm not sure you have to order food to drink, I usually do, on principle. But then, I don't get out much...bringing me to the point of this post. I haven't been getting out much. The two jobs and other obligations didn't leave a lot of time or energy for play. Now that I am down to the one job I'm looking to get out more, with or without a date. However, with a date would be the preference, of course. Still, out, I will get.

Generally speaking, I am a homebody and that suits, to a point. I like thinking about what needs doing to make it more homey. Thoughts like what to do with a broken refrigerator that won't (or can't) go away, how to repair the potrack attacked wall, and the logistics and costs related to replacing my cracked kitchen flooring occupy a lot of my homebody mind. Additionally, I like hanging out at home with my home mates. Recently however, my home mates' schedules put them home when I'm out and vice versa, except for late night, when we all should be sleeping, but are not. Getting out more, I expect will enhance rather than detract from the big picture.

Getting our more will encompass much beyond eating and drinking. The plan is to include those activities I enjoyed in my youth and some newer, yet to be discovered adventures. Art definitely will be part of the plan. I live near and work in a city that has some pretty impressive art, galleries, museums and fairs. In prior years visits to such venues was sparse, limited to once or twice a year. To prepare my mind and soul for the arts, I've started a new piece. This is the world premiere of the work in progress, "Rubber Two". Rubber is flanked by toys for scale.
It is unclear how large Rubber will get. It has been my experience that these things usually take on a life all their own.

**No, I didn't forget the gym-that technically is work, since I go on my lunch break.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 PM

    wowow Rubber looks huge....how long have been working on that one??? And I really like elizabeth's interpretation of the art work!!!

    Rubber reminds me....in university I made one of those things but with cigarette foil from a pack....I still have it somewhere and that was......yikes....24+ years ago....it's about the size of a golf-ball

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved has a "Rubber" sculpture that is now about the size of a small basketball, it scares me.

    I also recommend the River Architecture tour, the one the Chicago Architecture Foundation does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never understood rubber sculpture or those that craft them. Perhaps you could write us a treatise on it?

    Getting out is good.
    Now's a better time than any!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eb: performance? naked? hmmm..

    boo7: oh this puppy is a baby compared to it's kissin' cousin ;)

    zoe: thanks for the tour tip -yeah big rubber balls can be scary

    words: not quite sure I understand it myself...taking the treatise notion under advisement.

    Getting...

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.