Tuesday, January 30, 2007

M o M

With a little less than a week to go before my son’s 25th birthday, mom and I had the following exchange which is nearly a carbon copy of the exchanges before every birthday since his twentieth.

Mom: I’ve been thinking about what to get Michael for his birthday. What are you getting him?

Me: I got him the photo shoot. I will take him out to eat, he hasn’t said yet, where he’d like to go and I will get him some dvds, probably "Fraiser" seasons 1 and 2.

Mom: Well, I’ve been thinking about a gift card.

Me. That would work

Mom: Where?

Me: Borders. He loves Borders. He could get a book, a new journal, some music, a dvd and /or have several cups of tea, while playing working on his laptop.

Mom: hmm. I’ve been thinking about clothes.

Me: No. Don’t buy him clothes. I don’t get him clothes anymore, unless he’s there to try them on. I got him some shirts recently, the sleeves were too short. He's either still growing or the sizes wre wrong or something.

Mom: No, I was thinking a card from a store that sells clothes.

Me: Oh, well, I’d go with JCPenny. He like’s their stuff, the accessories anyway, monogrammed hankies or gold toe socks. He could use a gift card from JCPennney, but I’d go with Borders.

Mom: hmm. I’ve been thinking cologne, or those African oils. I don’t know where he got them.

Me: He doesn’t wear cologne and he got the oils from Afri-Ware, but he hasn’t been there in awhile He didn’t even know they had moved. He doesn’t wear the oils anymore..he says every ‘brother’ smells like those oils. He just smells like soap to me. He’s really into Irish Spring these days. I still think Borders is the best bet.

Mom: hmm. Well, what about Old Navy? Does he go to Old Navy?

Me: Uhm, No. He doesn’t go to Old Navy. He doesn’t wear anything...MOM: I bought him that sweater...Me: except for that sweater you bought him, from Old Navy. I think Borders is the way to go.

Mom: Well, I just don’t know.

Me: Really. Seriously, mom, a gift card from Border’s is the perfect choice.

Mom: Well...I guess. Hey! Your cousin is retiring.

It should be noted that I have many, many cousins. Quite a few could fit into the ‘your cousin is retiring’ scenario. I play along, volley up a couple of possibles before she reveals that K D the III is the cousin retiring. He was going to be my next guess, really.

14 comments:

  1. What a hoot! You do this every year? That is just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always the game/scenario of offering up as many suggestions as possible and they still cannot make up their mind!
    The cousin thing is exactly what I get only "is unemployed again".

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nex JCP friends and family sale is Sunday, Feb 11. I will send you the email so he (and you and whoever else)can get an extra 20% off(my discount).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing. I have this same conversation every year with my mother. I always say a gift card from Borders or Barnes & Noble for all the kids and she doesn't "believe" in giving gift cards--too impersonal. So, she invariably sends me money for me to shop for actual gifts and I end up buying the gift cards. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this kind of conversation with my mother rather often. What disturbs me is that the other night I had the same kind of conversation with my younger brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haa haa omg that conversation was hilarious. If I was you I would have been a tiny bit annoyed though lol. ;)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if I want to laugh or pull my hair out. Since it was you, (and not me) I'll go with laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's just too funny!! Glad you were prepared and could roll with it....:)

    Families eh?? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...ok so maybe that's a stretch....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents decided on their own that cash is the best gift for their grandson.

    But prior to that ... well ... we had conversations similar to yours. Your patience is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you took it as far as you did- every year? wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...that is freaking hysterical. I can so relate!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tedious for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! It's like playing the Who's on first game every year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is your mother my mother-in-law?

    This is a the near-carbon copy of conversations that Mrs Gunfighter has with her mom.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.