Thursday, September 27, 2007

Top of the World

This is the inspiration for September's Wordsmiths challenge. I bring you Top of the World. Only the view is spectacular. The rest of this hill could disappear and it I wouldn’t be phased one iota. Sometimes I dream of disappearing with it. Each ride up the desolate road I see his face in my mind’s eye. I scream and poof, I’m gone. He brought us here all those years ago, probably because of the view or maybe the road. Whatever the reason, he left short time later after landing us here at the top of the world, the end of the road.

We’ve been alone here since he left nearly four years ago. Only Doc Ryan still visits. Momma has warned everyone else off. She shoots. Well. Folks in the valley talk about the crazy old lady and her daughter who live up the hill. I don’t much care what they say about me I just want to leave this place. It was never really home. Momma won’t leave because she thinks he’s coming back. I think. Maybe she knows he isn’t and that’s why she stays. The view is spectacular.

We don’t have much, he didn’t leave much more than the clothes he wore when he pretended to work. I make my way down to the valley each day to work for some families who pay me a little to keep our dreariness away from their happy families. They feel good when they can pass on the extra cheese or a pint of milk. Momma won’t have that. She tosses their guilt to the winds when I haul it inside. I understand, still, the cheese would compliment the bread she bakes some afternoons.

The sunrises brought heat and heaping spoonfuls of anger and isolation. Still, sunrises are the best. Momma rises with the sun, ending the nights of anguish. She talks in her sleep, speaking of the dreams she had as a girl, fretting over the dreams she had for her own girl. Momma trusts me not to leave her alone on this hill, with the spectacular view. Yet, I think she wishes I would. Somebody should have their dreams come true she says in her sleep.

This morning I decided that momma’s dream talk is right. Dreams should come true. Doc Ryan said I could drop by anytime I needed to talk or just to sit and think. She said a body needs quiet time. After the last family I went over to Doc’s. She welcomed me with hot tea and a hearty soup. We talked for hours sipping tea, admiring the glowing embers of the roaring fire in her hearth.

Edging up the hill at sunrise I felt the change. The top of the world, the end of the road was too still. Momma’s note explained nothing, but everything was clear. The cook stove was warm and all his clothes were gone. I found the rifle at the edge of the yard. It too was warm. I looked up at the view to confirm, yes, still spectacular.




10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:28 AM

    Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Lovely piece of microfiction. You conjured quite a chunk of life in those few hundred words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tone, beautiful yet grim. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More! I want more!

    Well done, Deb. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the forthrightness of tone shaded over the confusion of story. So much left unsaid.

    But the gun, the clothes. I don't know what happened, and I want to. Am I being stupid? Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will there be a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanx all--much appreciated! :)

    sequel? possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Haunting.

    Nice.

    I especially like how you come back to teh view repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Latecomer to the stories...

    This one was great... the feeling of quiet despair throughout, despite the lingering admiration of the view.

    You manage an undercurrent of foreboding throughout, and then you deliver with tasty vagueness.

    Me likey!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.