Monday, September 24, 2007

Hit the Cycle


Saturday meant errands to the dry cleaners, bank and library. I logged about 5 miles round trip.
Sunday brought a quick skip to my mom’s a mere 1.2 miles away. Probably would have done well to walk instead of ride, but the trip meant chores and I didn’t know exactly what was in store. I didn’t want to risk being too tired to walk back home.
After work, dinner and some down time Monday I rode around the neighborhood logging a total of 6.5 miles.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday found me riding the 7.4 miles to and 7.4 miles from work each of those days.
I am back to a second Saturday of errands and five round trip miles. The cycle continues on second Sunday of chores at mom’s a mere 1.2 miles way.
I had expectations of an emotional high and a physical surge. Both were present but not as much as expected. Well enough though, to keep pedaling.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 AM

    I think that the mental/physical high comes once you've gotten yourself acclimated to the bike and the riding and then can start going at a pretty good clip. I tend to ride at about 15 mph and, believe me, when I get done, I'm damn near giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Beats taking the bus for sure and you can run on your own schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you have one of those nifty little tools that tracks your mileage and calculates your speed?

    Your mother lives perilously close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I sweat too much to use the bike to do chores... but it sure sounds like a grand idea if you don't have sweat glands that don't work like faucets! :)

    I'm loving my new bike, but have only done the 40 miler over a week ago. We'll be biking this weekend, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe we (ok, I) need a picture of the bike itself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat: I'm not there (consistently) yet. I hope/expect to be at some point.

    Hahn: True that!

    Words: No, I don't have one of those nifty tools, but I will remedy that soon enough.
    and Yes! mom is periously close!

    Val: Yes, in that and the fact that my town(s) are relatively bike friendly, I am lucky.

    I hope you get your ride in. :)

    sporks: Hmmm...pic huh? I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would fall off, but good for you baby....keep on trucking..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:37 PM

    Good for you for logging in all those miles. Won't be long and the season will be over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are gonna have some very nice leg muscles going on....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:32 PM

    WOO-HOO! You know I loves the bicycles! Yes, yes, pictures please; nothing like a little bikerotica.

    If we lived closer, I'd offer to maintain your new baby with regular cleanings—"particularly the chain and rear cogs," she gently instructs—and tune-ups. But I guess I'd have to sweeten that pot considerably to make it worth your while to ride all the way to Los Angeles, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I'm proud of you for riding all those miles. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the advice about being consistent with the bike ridiing to avoid the sore ass syndrome!!! I know it will pass - butt, I was in the moment!!!

    I see a comment by Teresa about cleaning and maintain the chain etc. Can anyone let me know what would be the best to do? We rode in gravel and it was quite dusty and I'm afraid all of that dirt is going to glog up the chain.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.