Sunday, September 16, 2012

Trying. Week. End.

Diamond. D-dog. Diva. 
She came into our lives by way of our town's shelter. My daughter, an employee at the shelter, spotted her when she was surrendered by her previous parents and was determined to bring her home. Good thing, because Diamond's food aggression had her labeled "un-adoptable" and slated for termination. Her arrival came after Pete's, which rankled me just a wee bit. 

Maybe more than a wee bit, to be honest, at the time. 

But, like my daughter, Diamond had a way of working herself into your heart and good graces. Seeking forgiveness over permission every step of the way. She, the small dog who enjoyed romps in snow piled higher than her head, approached the lake (& lagoons & rivers) with trepidation, but ultimately allowed herself a taste of pleasure, who relished food, even that designed and meant for the cats, who took pure and distinct pleasure in show said cats who in fact, was boss . . . she, is no longer with us. 

Diamond developed issues beyond the diabetes and these past few days has been so not her usual self. It has been beyond difficult to watch her decline. It has been beyond difficult to watch daughter struggle with the choice that had to be made, not for us, but for Diamond; her care and comfort trumping our not wanting to be without her presence. 

Watching my daughter say goodbye to her very first pet, a pet she's craved to have since she was five years old, a pet who was with us just a bit over 5 years, but who was about to celebrate her eleventh year, a pet who has taught my daughter so much about . . . well, life, who has been the single most vital and constant presence in her life these past five years . . .  watching her raw sadness, her maturity, her coming to terms. . . has been, in a word, unimaginable. 

Leaves me breathless. That, and her thanking me for being strong, so she can be strong. Breathless. And in tears.  

Rest In Peace, dear Diamond. You will live forever in our hearts and memories.  

9 comments:

  1. RIP Beautiful and loyal Diamond. Go find Shaggy, who was my brother's dog who passed almost two years ago. He'll show you around the place happily.

    I don't know how you feel about psychics, but if you're open, go and and read this post of mine: http://www.35jupiterdrive.com/2012/06/seeing-future-visiting-past.html It's pretty cool.

    I am very sorry for your loss of Diamond. You were good people to her right to the end. I know she's sending you her love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, thank you for loving my sweet pup.
    I miss her so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:44 AM

    So sorry for both of you. but you gave her a good home and love when she needed it. And made the hard decision for her when it was time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Em and @NCP Thank you for your kind words and warm thoughts.

    @Danielle of course. She was an extension of you and quite the love bucket in her own right. I miss her too. We'll get through with the help of our friends and by supporting one another.

    ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something about dogs, and especially about shelter dogs, that goes right to the heart.

    You gave her a good home and all the love she could want. You gave her cats to boss around. She got to live longer and better for being a part of your family. I know you all will miss her so very much.

    Dogs = love.
    xoxo
    e

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ e How so very right you are.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sorry for the loss of the little Diva to your family. I know she knew how much you gave to her. I know you feel the loss of what she gave to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry I missed this news and sorry you lost Diamond. I've been through it twice in the last year and it's no fun, but I find reassurance in knowing that they really are going to a better place...without pain or suffering. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Madame thank you for your thoughts and words. I cling to the belief that she was aware how loved she was/is. <3.

    @ Me. Here. Right now. Thank you much. This is our first such experience (though I lost pets when I was a child, it was a totally different dynamic--stories for another time) and it has been rough. That said, I am comforted that she is at peace and no longer in pain. We have great, great memories, pictures, and even video.
    <3. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.