Tuesday, June 30, 2020

working through it



You may be aware that I am afraid of birds.  Well, "afraid" may be a tad over the top.  Let's just say that I acutely aware of their presence and hyper aware of gatherings that exceed two.  The film, Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" may or may not have any bearing on my . . . condition.

I saw the film for the first time when I was a child; probably around 7 or 8 years old.  I didn't know it then but the film was several years old by the time I saw it.  I'm sure it was featured on some mystery or horror TV programming my older brother was always dialed into. 

Oddly, I don't recall being scared out of my wits when I saw it.  I mean sure, it was creepy and more than a tad unnerving but not scary in a, 'too scared to come out from under the covers' or 'too scared to go outside' kind of way. I remember watching the film often throughout my childhood and young adulthood.  I even introduced my children to the film sometime during their childhoods. 

By that time it was kind of campy. 

But somewhere along the way I discovered that I do not like being in the company of birds....plural.  A single* cardinal, wren,  robin (or even a pigeon--though rarely are they tapping around solo)  doesn't bother me.  But if I see more than one sitting on a branch or a wire, I give pause and give them as wide a berth as possible.

As an aside, I cannot for the life of me I can't imagine why folks would want to own a bird!

I say all this to say that my daughter gifted me the DVD (along with a player and a larger screen TV to replace my dinky little set) for Mother's Day and while back.  The DVD was presented as kind of an inside joke as she has often been at my side when I have pointed out a flock, colony, fleet, parcel, or group of birds and the little shriek that went with the pointing. 

My uneasiness tickles her so she took the opportunity to needle me a bit. 

Gotta love her.

And no, I haven't (still / yet) watched the DVD.  I'm not afraid, I am just . . . busy.  Yes, busy. 

*all bets are off crows (or any of the large breed birds) 



7 comments:

  1. I remember watching 'House on Haunted Hill' when I was around 7. I've never watched another horror movie again. Funny how these things touch our psyches in mysterious ways. Fortunately avoiding horror movies is a lot easier than avoiding birds.

    PS - your daughter has quite the devilish sense of humor : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she does. Keeps me on my toes. :-)

      Avoiding horror movies can prove challenging when they are favorite genre of number one daughter.

      Delete
  2. Best to stay "busy." Like 8thday, I watched "House on Haunted Hill" as a child and have never been the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever saw the original but I'm sure I was in the room when one (only one??) of the remakes was being viewed.

      I don't seek these films out, they find me.

      Delete
  3. I didn't see 'The Birds' until I was a teenager and it seemed so dated and *not* scary. That being said, I hate horror films and avoid them completely. Ditto horror books. Just not my jam.
    Agree with 8, your daughter is... hilarious. ((wink))
    Hope you are enjoying other genres on your new, larger, TV!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you (all) I would avoid them altogether too.

    My daughter is a hoot. Agreed.

    I am enjoying the new, larger TV. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this is all kinds of crazy. I also saw The Birds too young and dislike/fear/get super skittish around flocks of birds, groups of birds, swoopy birds. I like seeing birds (by themselves) from afar or out a window, and admire the bluebirds, orioles, and hummingbirds where I live... But if they flew in a menacing flock NO WAY! And a pet bird? whyyyyyyyyyyyyy? I do love that movie though, it's a lot of creepy fun. But, uh, maybe now isn't the time to add that additional stress on the menu!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.