Friday, September 17, 2021

Almost Gone (the month, the year, aaarrgh)



The title of this post has changed more frequently than my hair... well, to be fair, my hair hasn't changed all that much in recent weeks.  Yes, I'm still growing it (or allowing it to grow) and do what it does.  Every few days I take it down and twist it back up.  Since I'm going going anywhere I don't concern myself with styling it.  I just want the braids to be relatively neat and tidy. 

I am reminded though why it is I cut the hair off and kept it off oh those many years ago. 

Styling.  What.  A. Pain.  

However, less so since I will (whenever I do "fix" it to meet people) no longer concern myself with hot combs, curlers, and tools of that ilk.  I imagine one day my fingers won't be nimble enough to braid but that day isn't today.  

Let's catch up: My daughter is working at what must be her 400th nursing / assisted care facility since the beginning of the pandemic.  I exaggerate of course, but jeez louise, she changes jobs...a lot.   On the plus, she seems to "win" at interviewing.  Hopefully this place will be the right sauce. At least until 12/31/21.  I feel like me having said anything at all has jinxed it...Fingers crossed, it didn't. 

My son's industry is creeping back to life.  Auditions have begun but instead of going into a casting office; actors are asked to email a self-tape.  So, actors are having to learn how to record the auditions "sides" and send that in to the casting agent / director.  There are guidelines toward producing a good or acceptable tape as well as well as an industry / service toward actors finding scene partners. According to my son, a lot of his peers are struggling with this pivot.  

The actor (he is now officially, "the creative" ) is writing, expanding his music performance tool kit and making ends meet by busking around the city. He was even able to snare a few bona-fide music gigs over this past year.   Oh, and teaching.  He led a MasterClass for first and second year theater students at is alma mater recently.  There are two or three more sessions planned over the coming semester.  He came away with mixed reviews after the first session.  He liked the students but was unimpressed with the professor. (One of HIS former professors--awkward) LOL 

Anyhoo...we're all just plodding along, putting one foot in front of the other, keeping our distance, wearing our masks, and staying safe.  

PS: I no longer care WHO hosts "Jeopardy"!  (Not that I ever really did, but now...ugh--way to ruin it people!  Way. To. Go.)

Take very gentle care, gentle people.    

4 comments:

  1. I admire your children's confidence and bravery. I let my hair grow the past couple years. I look a bit hag like, but pull it back and up and can almost pass for normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do embody both of those traits. I am often in awe.

    I like the versatility of longer hair. The extra work when you want to be someone else, not so much. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair is in that horrible 'in between' state - too long to not do something with it but not long enough to do much. I may have to bite the bullet and ask for some professional help.

    I can't imagine having to deal with the number of W-2s your daughter will have come tax time. I imagine it must be the same for an actor.

    We are plodding along also, not quite believing that summer is over. Still, I am looking forward to having less yard chores and the quiet that shorter days bring. And yes, taking gentle care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to be out of th in-between stage but now realizing I may not have all the skills or tools to do anything more than I am doing now. Which, come to think of it, is okay.

      My daughter and the actor (1099s for him) seem to take it all in stride.

      What I am not looking forward to is walking Cinnamon in the dark. I ::note to self--get new light::

      Delete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.