Sunday, April 24, 2022

Times Gone By


The first few years of my childhood, my mother dressed us in our finest for holidays; Easter being among the largest and the dressiest of those.  Our wardrobe was selected weeks before, set aside and then prepared the morning of, we were primped an preened until we glistened. 

Once perfection was achieved, a photo was snapped.  

Usually.   

Then we headed off to church and onward to our grandmother's for family time and some grand eats. 







While those rituals (or traditions) were suspended by the time I was ten (our lives had taken and decidedly drastic turn) they were revisited in my late teens, early adulthood.  My initial nuclear family was well fractured but there was still the extended; at least until my maternal grandmother died.  I am thankful to have had her with us for the earliest parts of my children's lives for their own experience a few of those grand gatherings and grand eats.  

Through the years the rituals / traditions took on different shapes; church waned, dressing up waned, toward a slow roll to present day; celebrations are not even on THE calendar day.  

Everyday we are able to come together is a celebration.  The one constant through the years has been grand eats no matter who's in the kitchen and a grand experience.  

I love hanging out with my son, the actor (and beyond) and my daughter, the chef (and beyond). 

Happy Spring!

7 comments:

  1. What great memories! We weren't a religious family but occasions when we got together with our large band of cousins were always a treasure. I'm glad your kids were able to experience that. My immediate and extended family is spread out now but we do try to get together with whomever still lives in town - or, we did before covid. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding on to the hope for a full on cousin gathering. In the meantime, cherishing the moments with my kids and memories of past times.

      Fingers crossed for your family gatherings

      Delete
  2. We just had a family celebration and everyone was commenting on how nice it was to be able to gather together again.

    I do fear, as a society, we are losing our connections as religious holidays turned into cultural holidays turned into 'whenever' get togethers. I hope we can all hang onto the get togethers and always enjoy the grand eats.

    Love the pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for in person get togethers, whenever. And grand eats.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Such a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos! We always had an Easter photo with our dresses and bonnets, until I was about 10 or 11 as well. Maybe that's the age when you stop bonnet-ing? Such lovely memories to look back on. And I love the thought, "Every day we can come together is a celebration."

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.