Friday, July 14, 2006

The Time Has (Almost) Come

He was waiting for me. He tried not to look like he was waiting, but he was. I know because he started talking as soon as I sat down. Anecdotes about last night's adventures in the blues club he frequents, contact made with potential new (day) job employer, news on the auditions front and oh, hey, by the way, "I think I found my neighborhood." Ding. Ding. Ding. He went on describing the stats; crime rate (virtually non-existent), demographics (extremely diverse), flavor (artistic / actor friendly community), and rents (reasonable). YM is going to move. Not today, mind you, but soon enough.

YM graduated from college two months ago and since then has been quite the busy actor. He secured himself an agent, researched photographers and locations for his next set of head shots, has gone on at least a dozen auditions and actively pursue a new (day) job that pays more that the current one; bringing the moving out day even closer. He is literally buzzing with excitement. I share his enthusiasm, really, I do, but I can't help but feel a little bit sad, a little bit nervous and a little bit lost.

When he was a youngster I read to him often from Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now! over and over again. YM got the biggest kick trying to figure out why Marvin the imp was being asked to leave everywhere, in every way possible. Will you please go now! became a running joke between us for years.

I know, it is time. YM is ready for and needs to take this step. I'm grateful for having had him this close, for this long. I am comforted by the foundation we've formed. I'm confident we can sustain, even expand our relationship. Besides, his trusty little neighborhood guide book reports that the neighborhood he proposes to move into boasts a bustling lesbian population. Dinner at YM's, an idea whose time has come.

Still, I can't help but feel just a little bit like asking my Marvin K. Mooney to stay.

5 comments:

  1. ah.. he's a man now. and sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:29 PM

    This is so sweet. I feel for you, truly. And as an aside? I loved Marvin K. Mooney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya.
    In a hauntingly familiar way.

    Will he be staying in the same city as you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. weese: Ah..indeed.

    jennifer: Thanks. MK Mooney-pretty good stuff, it is.

    wordsrock: No, not technically. We currently live in a 'burb bordered by the city that has this great neighborhood. I do work in the city, but miles away from his planned locale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Deborah!
    sniff! Sad, but also wonderful! I am sure with the kind of nurturing mother you are that he will be visiting ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Your visit is much appreciated.